UNITED NATIONS (AP) — US Ambassador Susan Rice is dismissing Syria’s investigation blaming rebel fighters for last week’s massacre of more than 100 people in Houla as “another blatant lie.”
Rice told reporters Thursday “there is no factual evidence … that would substantiate that rendition of events.”
She said UN observers reported Syrian heavy weapons were used, and that “in all likelihood” pro-government shabiha militias were responsible for killing many people.
Rice said the UN Human Rights Council is considering an investigation of the Houla massacre.
Rice said the arrival of a Russian ship reportedly loaded with arms at the Syrian port of Tartous doesn’t violate international law but “it’s reprehensible that arms would continue to flow to a regime that is using such horrific and disproportionate force against its own people.”
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.