The IDF is preparing to evict 30 families from their homes in the West Bank outpost of Migron by Tuesday, if they don’t agree to leave beforehand.
The families are reportedly weighing whether to leave. The Defense Ministry has offered to make relocation services available on Sunday, should they agree to evacuate the outpost on their own.
The 30 families live on land that has been determined to be private Palestinian land. More than a dozen other families claim that their homes are located on land legally purchased; the High Court of Justice will sit on Tuesday to rule on that claim.
On Thursday, several dozen Migron residents demonstrated in front of the Justice Ministry to protest the state’s plan to evacuate the site.
Earlier in the week, the state told the High Court of Justice that it would not attempt to delay the evacuation, though it is still investigating whether residents legally purchased some of the land.
Migron, the largest West Bank outpost, was acknowledged by the state to be built on private Palestinian land, and the court ordered its evacuation and demolition earlier this year. In July, residents of the outpost petitioned the court to delay the evacuation, arguing that they had purchased roughly half the land the outpost sits on from its Palestinian owner. The police began investigating the deal following a complaint filed by the landowner.
Also in July, a ministerial committee decided to support the petition to delay evacuation. The residents of Migron have stated that the court decision ignored that recommendation.
The government petitioned the High Court of Justice last month to grant it a 30-day extension for the evacuation of the outpost, saying the army could not carry out that mission during the month-long Muslim holiday of Ramadan and that new housing had yet to be completed for the families set to be evicted.
The petition to the court recognized that an earlier request to delay the evacuation until November 2015 was rejected, but said that a shorter, one-month delay was reasonable. The court had ordered that the evacuation be carried out by August 1.