Deposed Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak will stand trial for a second time for the killing of protesters, the country’s justice minister said Thursday.
Interior Minister Habib al-Adly will also be forced back into court, Justice Minister Ahmed Mekky said, according to Egypt’s state-run Middle Eastern News Agency. The new trial will not affect verdicts already handed down to the ex-leader.
Mubarak and Adly will face charges over the killing of protesters outside of Cairo during the 2011 revolution, which saw the autocrat’s long-time regime ousted in sometimes violent rallies.
If found guilty, Mubarak’s sentence would be added to existing punishments. Mubarak received a life sentence earlier this year after being found guilty of failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the revolution.
Both the prosecutor and the committee charged with investigating the killing of protesters requested the trial, according to MENA.
A spokesman for the prosecutor said the Cairo Criminal Court omitted certain incidents in Mubarak’s first trial that will be on the docket for his new trial.
The court only considered crimes committed in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, the center of the opposition protests, and not in the rest of the city or country, a member of the investigative committee said. The new trial would seek to have the court look at actions that led to the deaths of protesters in areas around the country.