After a decade-long investigation, State Attorney Moshe Lador on Thursday announced that the case against Gilad Sharon for allegedly mediating bribes on behalf of his father, former prime minister Ariel Sharon, would be closed.
The public prosecution said it would divulge the reasons for dropping the case next week.
Sharon had been suspected of brokering the transfer of millions of dollars from Cyril Kern, a British-born, South Africa-based businessman, and transferring them to his father.
For a time, Ariel Sharon was the primary suspect in the case, but charges against him were dropped in August 2012 due to the fact that he has been in a coma since 2006, and can’t give testimony or stand trial.
Lador’s announcement came in response to a petition, submitted by Gilad Sharon to the High Court of Justice in November, in which Sharon demanded an explanation as to why no decision had been reached in his case.
Police suspected that money was transferred to the prime minister through his two sons, Gilad and Omri, in an arrangement that went on for years, from 2001 until 2005.
Austrian casino magnate Martin Schlaff, who had financial interests in Israel at the time, was also believed to have been involved. Police said more than $4.5 million was transferred in 2004 alone.
Aaron Kalman contributed to this report.
|Like us on Facebook||Get our newsletter||Follow us on Twitter|