JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s Supreme Court has put off the scheduled evacuation of the West Bank outpost of Migron by at least three weeks.
The court said in a statement Friday that it has scheduled another hearing for the state to argue its case against the evacuation. The court had previously ordered the Migron outpost be dismantled by Aug. 1.
The outpost was built on privately owned Palestinian land, a practice outlawed decades ago.
The state asked to delay the operation until the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, citing security concerns that an evacuation during this period could set off clashes between settlers and Palestinians. The court will reconvene on Aug. 21.
Court President Asher Grunis said the ruling should not be taken a sign that the evacuation order would be reversed.
“I don’t need to say that all the parties involved will continue to prepare for the evacuation,” he said, according to Ynet news.