BRUSSELS, Belgium — Belgian officials on Monday raised the death toll from last week’s devastating Islamic State suicide attacks on Brussels airport and the metro to 35.
Officials from the government’s crisis center said 31 people died at the two attack sites and four had died in hospital. Three bombers were also killed.
“The prosecutor has figures for the people who died at the scene of the crime… and the health authority is responsible for the people who died in hospital in the hours following the attacks,” Belgian prosecutors’ spokeswoman Ine Van Wymersch told reporters.
Belgian authorities had lowered the toll to 28 over the weekend from 31, before raising it back to 31 on Sunday night.
Health Minister Maggie De Block tweeted: “Four patients deceased in hospital. Medical teams did all possible. Total victims: 35. Courage to all the families.”
Also on Monday, Belgium charged three people with involvement in a terrorist group after they were arrested in an operation over the weekend, the federal prosecutor said.
“They were charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement, adding that a fourth person detained on Sunday had been released.
The three men were identified as Yassine A., Mohamed B. et Aboubaker O., the prosecutor said, adding that “in the interest of the inquiry,” further details would not be provided.
Belgian police had detained four people during a series of 13 raids on Sunday across the capital Brussels and the towns of Mechelen, about 30 kilometers (20 miles) due north of Brussels, and one in Duffel, 40 kilometers in the same direction.