search

Hamas says it’s ready for more fighting, promises ‘surprises’

Military wing spokesman tells supporters at ‘victory’ rally that fighters never left the battlefield

Palestinian gunmen from the military wing of Hamas during what they termed a 'victory rally' amid the debris of destroyed houses in Shejaiya, a Hamas stronghold of Gaza City, Wednesday, August 27, 2014. (photo credit: AP/Adel Hana)
Palestinian gunmen from the military wing of Hamas during what they termed a 'victory rally' amid the debris of destroyed houses in Shejaiya, a Hamas stronghold of Gaza City, Wednesday, August 27, 2014. (photo credit: AP/Adel Hana)

Hamas’s armed wing is ready for another round of fighting, a spokesman for the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades said at a “victory” rally for the group recently.

The unnamed speaker promised the group would soon reveal “large surprises” related to the group’s 50-day military campaign with Israel over the summer, according to Israeli news source NRG.

“We are now more ready to start a new battle with the enemy and strike deep inside Israel,” the spokesman said at the Gaza rally, according to a statement released by the group Sunday. “Today we stand before a new equation against the occupation. Today, it’s blood for blood, shelling for shelling and destruction for destruction.

“Our soldiers didn’t leave the field when the battle ended. They stand at constant readiness developing responsive forces,” he said.

Meanwhile, protesters in Beit Hanoun’s central market demanded that the Gaza government declare the neighborhood a disaster area and provide emergency services to over 2,000 residents left homeless by the fighting.

Reconstruction efforts in Gaza have been hampered thus far, one month after an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire ended seven weeks of fighting between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, due to ongoing disagreements between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority over how to administrate the coastal enclave.

The factions announced that they had reached a “comprehensive” agreement for the return of the unity government, established earlier this year, to the Gaza Strip.

Outlining the deal’s provisions, senior Hamas official Moussa Abu Marzouk said the new unity government would start making some payments to government officials in Gaza, though the question of full salaries has been left to future negotiation.

He also said the government would jointly man border crossing points with Israel and Egypt and jointly administer a hoped-for Gaza reconstruction process, funded by donations from European and other western countries.

Palestinian sources told The Times of Israel on Sunday that the sides had agreed in principle on the deployment of a force of 3,000 security personnel loyal to Abbas along the Gaza borders and at the crossings.

However, all of the agreements thus far have only been in principle, with no concrete plans for implementation.

Avi Issacharoff contributed to this report.

read more:
comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed