IDF names Ziv Daos, Netanel Kahalani as soldiers killed in Friday’s car-ramming
search

IDF names Ziv Daos, Netanel Kahalani as soldiers killed in Friday’s car-ramming

Soldiers receive posthumous promotion, two other troops wounded when Palestinian drives car into them outside a military observation point in northern West Bank

Sgt. Netanel Kahalani, left, and Cpt. Ziv Daos, right, are identified as the soldiers killed in an apparent car-ramming terror attack on March 16, 2018. (Courtesy)
Sgt. Netanel Kahalani, left, and Cpt. Ziv Daos, right, are identified as the soldiers killed in an apparent car-ramming terror attack on March 16, 2018. (Courtesy)

The Israel Defense Forces on Saturday identified the two servicemen killed a day earlier in a West Bank car-ramming terror attack as Cpt. Ziv Daos and Sgt. Netanel Kahalani.

Two other soldiers, who were seriously injured in the terror attack, remained in the hospital as of Saturday night. The army did not release their names.

Daos, 21, from the central town of Azor, was a platoon commander in a Home Front Command search and rescue unit. He was posthumously promoted to the rank of captain.

Daos’s funeral was scheduled for Sunday at 12:00 p.m. at the military cemetery in Holon.

Kahalani, 20, from Elyakim in northern Israel, served as a driver in the Menashe Regional Brigade. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant.

His family planned to hold the burial at 1:00 a.m. on Sunday in the Elyakim cemetery.

The army did not release the slain soldiers’ identities until their families could be notified of their deaths.

Israeli security forces and forensics experts inspect the destroyed vehicle that was used by a Palestinian terrorist in a car ramming attack on Israeli soldiers near West Bank settlement of Mevo Dotan on March 16, 2018. (AFP Photo/Jack Guez)

On Friday afternoon, 26-year-old Ala Qabha rammed his car into the group of soldiers outside a military post in the northern West Bank, near the Mevo Dotan settlement. The army later designated the car-ramming as a terror attack.

On Saturday, the Shin Bet security agency said Qabha confessed to carrying out the attack. It said Qabha initially claimed the incident was an accident, but later changed his story, and said it was deliberate and that he intended to murder soldiers.

The security agency said that it appeared that he acted alone, and possibly spontaneously.

Qabha did a U-turn on the road before plowing into the soldiers, and accelerated into them, Israeli TV reports said Saturday, leaving no doubt that the attack was deliberate.

Qabha’s family insisted the deadly incident was an accident. His father told the Walla news site Saturday that his son is not affiliated with any terrorist group, and did not intentionally target Israeli troops. “This isn’t the first car accident like this and won’t be the last,” Rateb Qabha said. “You hear about accidents like these every day in the news.”

Earlier Saturday, IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot confirmed that Israeli forces arrested Qabha’s brother and an uncle in the family’s hometown of Barta’a, outside Jenin. Both relatives were suspected of helping him carry out the deadly attack.

Forces also mapped out Qabha’s home in preparation for its demolition, conducted a broader search of the village for illegal weapons, and continued security checks of cars in the roads surrounding Barta’a.

“I know my son well,” his father said. “This is a young man who works, he dreams of getting married and having a family. He doesn’t have [terrorist] leanings… I extend my condolences to the families of the victims,” Qabha added.

Qabha also told Walla the family rejected Hamas’s praise for the attack.

Car-ramming terror suspect Ala Qabha (Courtesy)

Asked about reports in Hebrew-language media that his son was known to Israeli intelligence services, and had recently been released from prison, Qabha downplayed the allegations, saying that Ala had gotten in trouble once “for stone throwing or something like that.”

An unnamed family representative added that Ala had “made a mistake” in the past, but that it should not be held against him now.

“It doesn’t mean that he should be labeled a terrorist or a criminal,” the representative told Walla. “The Shin Bet [security service] knows with 100% certainty that he is not a criminal who endangers the state of Israel.”

He added that the Qabhas were confident that after an investigation “it will become clear that this was an accident and nothing more.”

Qabha was injured and hospitalized for treatment.

The scene of a car-ramming attack in the West Bank on March 16, 2018. (Magen David Adom)

Media showed footage of a smashed and mangled white car. Channel 10 news said the Palestinian plowed the vehicle into the group of soldiers as they dismounted from a jeep and walked toward a guard post.

Maj. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, who heads COGAT, the Israeli liaison for Palestinian civilian affairs in the West Bank, ordered in response to the attack “an immediate and broad suspension” of permits for employment in Israel “for the entire family of the assailant.”

The Palestinian terrorist group Hamas welcomed the attack, saying it “proves our people’s readiness to continue the Jerusalem intifada,” and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist group also also said it “commended” the attack and urged “further attacks against the Zionist occupation.”

Neither group took responsibility for the attack.

Jacob Magid contributed to this report.

read more:
comments