Some 130 people were taken to hospital and more than 100 schools closed Monday in southeast Iran after an incident at a sewage treatment plant caused an outbreak of poisonous gas.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of dumping expired pesticide which reacted with water to produce a noxious gas that left people with breathing problems, headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The problems in Zahedan, in Sistan-Baluchistan province, led to 109 schools being closed and 60 pupils and three staff were affected, an education official told the official IRNA news agency.
With winds blowing gas into the streets, a total of 130 people were taken to hospital, Mahmoud Imani, deputy director of treatment at Zahedan Medical University, was quoted as saying.
Some of those affected have since been released, the report said.
The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.
We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.
Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.