Iran says it captured IS cell planning bombing attacks
search

Iran says it captured IS cell planning bombing attacks

Tehran officials say members of jihadist group aimed to target religious sites

Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard secure the area outside the Iranian parliament during an attack on the complex in the capital Tehran on June 7, 2017. (AFP/Fars News/Hossein Mersadi)
Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard secure the area outside the Iranian parliament during an attack on the complex in the capital Tehran on June 7, 2017. (AFP/Fars News/Hossein Mersadi)

Iran on Saturday said it had arrested members of an Islamic State cell who had been planning bombings at religious sites.

Iranian state television reported that intelligence agents “were able to arrest a group linked to (Islamic State) that intended to carry out terror operations” and seized “explosive and suicide attack equipment,” according to a Reuters report.

On June 7 twin attacks in Tehran killed 17 people, in the first assault in Iran to be claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.

Dozens of suspects were arrested following the attacks, and Iran later said it had tracked down and killed several suspected jihadists, including the alleged mastermind of the assault.

Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said the alleged mastermind behind the attacks had been tracked down and killed outside the country.

“The mastermind who controlled the team… who had fled outside the country… paid the price for his crimes, with the cooperation of intelligence services of allied countries,” Alavi told state television, without providing further details.

AFP contributed to this report.

read more:
comments