Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday indicated reconciliation efforts with Ankara would not be derailed by the bloody failed military coup in Turkey over the weekend.
“Israel and Turkey agreed on reconciliation, and we assume that this process will continue regardless of events over the weekend,” said Netanyahu at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting.
Turkish authorities crushed the putsch bid by discontented soldiers in a chaotic night of violence Friday and early Saturday that left at least 265 people dead.
Israel, which last month approved a deal to restore ties that were frozen after a deadly IDF raid on a Gaza-bound Turkish ship in 2010, has condemned the coup attempt.
“Israel respects the democratic process in Turkey and looks forward to the continuation of the reconciliation process between Turkey and Israel,” said Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon on Saturday.
Netanyahu on Sunday also addressed the Nice truck-ramming terror attack that left 84 dead and 300 wounded, coming down on the Palestinian Authority for condemning that attack while “encouraging” car attacks on Israelis.
The Nice attack was “shocking,” said Netanyahu, reiterating his call for a unified global front against terrorism and noting that he sent condolences on behalf of Israel.
“The Palestinian Authority also condemned it and sent condolences, but with one difference: Here, they not only don’t condemn ramming terror attacks, they encourage it,” said the prime minister. “They glorify the car-ramming killers; they fund them and their families if the car-rammers die.”
“Terror is terror, whether it is in France or Israel, and we need one unified front of condemnation and war against this terrorism — here or anywhere else.”
In a video message posted on Friday with Arabic subtitles, Netanyahu urged PA President Mahmoud Abbas to stop supporting terrorists financially, fire Palestinian officials who openly encourage the murder of Israeli Jews, and disavow ceremonies honoring killers.
AFP contributed to this report.