Qatar recalled its ambassador to Egypt Thursday “for consultation” following a row at an Arab League meeting over Cairo’s air strikes on jihadist targets in Libya, Qatari state media said.
A foreign ministry official said Doha was recalling its envoy over a statement by Egypt’s delegate to the Arab League, according to the QNA state news agency. QNA gave no details about the statement but the Doha-based Al-Jazeera news channel said the Egyptians accused Qatar of backing terrorism.
Egypt launched a series of air strikes against IS targets last week after the terror group released a gruesome video showing the beheadings of 21 Egyptian Copts kidnapped in Libya. The killings have enraged Cairo.
The footage shows 21 handcuffed hostages wearing orange jumpsuits being beheaded by their black-suited captors on a beach the group said was in the Libyan province of Tripoli.
An Egyptian Armed Forces statement following the air raids said the warplanes targeted weapons caches and training camps before returning safely. It said the strikes were “to avenge the bloodshed and to seek retribution from the killers.
“Let those far and near know that Egyptians have a shield that protects them,” it said.