Top promoter denies statutory rape allegations against singer
search

Top promoter denies statutory rape allegations against singer

As gag order continues to obscure details of case, man accused of arranging meetings for famous star slams 'malicious rumors'

Yifa Yaakov is a breaking news editor at The Times of Israel.

Illustration: A singer's microphone and amplifier. (photo credit: CC BY 2.0 Flickr/Magnus D)
Illustration: A singer's microphone and amplifier. (photo credit: CC BY 2.0 Flickr/Magnus D)

A top party promoter said to have arranged dalliances between a popular Israeli singer and an underage girl denied Thursday the accusations leveled against the singer, whose name has yet to be revealed.

With a gag order still obscuring the details of the case, the party promoter agreed to speak to both Channel 2 and Ynet News, denying the allegation that he had procured underage girls for famous singers and insisting on his client’s innocence.

Speculation has run rampant as to the identity of one of the popular singers suspected of having sex with a 15-year-old girl, with several details leaking out Thursday.

The two suspects, both famous singers, have not been arrested or questioned by Tel Aviv police, although the girl has been called in to give her version of events to authorities.

According to media reports, the artists may have also smoked marijuana with the teenager and had sex with a second girl of a similar age — and possibly group sex with several underage girls — in an apartment rented for that purpose.

Earlier Thursday, a leading blogger was arrested for publishing the singer’s name, and his site was taken down.

The singer responded to the blogger’s accusation with a threatening Facebook post, in effect confirming that he was the singer suspected of statutory rape.

“To all my fans and the people who love me. I am witnessing the character assassination that is being inflicted on me. All is well with me, praise God. I’m working, performing and partying. I love you all,” he wrote.

Channel 1 accidentally revealed the singer’s name on the 9 p.m. news on Thursday evening, with the anchor immediately correcting himself. Still, the damage had been done: By late Thursday, most Israelis had put together the pieces of the puzzle. Still, the gag order remained in place early Friday morning.

On Thursday evening, the promoter said neither he, nor the unnamed singer, was involved in a sex scandal.

“I never procured any underage girls for any singers,” he told Channel 2, warning that the entire case was bound to blow over.

“A great injustice has been done to many people,” he said. Of the accusations, he commented, “It’s just a rumor [spread by] jealous people.

“These singers are class acts, people who have everything in life. They don’t concern themselves with nonsense,” he added.

The promoter said his client hadn’t been called in for questioning, contending that the allegations were based on malicious rumors and would soon be dismissed by the police.

“I don’t know any [underage] girls,” he told Channel 2. “I don’t know what they’re talking about. I love the good life, and jealous people can’t stand my success,” he said.

The investigation had apparently been going on for several weeks before Channel 2 reported it on Wednesday night.

The age of consent in Israel is 16.

Stuart Winer contributed to this report.

read more:
comments