One man was killed and another seriously hurt from carbon monoxide poisoning after they left a charcoal grill burning in their apartment in the northern city of Haifa.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene by Magen David Adom rescuers after “extended” resuscitation efforts failed, MDA medic Tal Shustak told Channel 10 news.
He was identified Sunday morning as a 35-year-old migrant laborer from India.
The second man, also in his thirties, is hospitalized in serious condition at Haifa’s Rambam Medical Center, where he is attached to a respirator but is reportedly in stable condition.
Following an initial investigation, officials believe the two neglected to put out the grill when they went to sleep on Saturday night in the city’s Hadar neighborhood.
In a statement, MDA noted the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The gas has no color or smell, so leaks can be hard to identify until symptoms of poisoning become evident. Anyone planning on cooking with charcoal should only do so in a well-ventilated outdoor space, as even a single grill’s worth of burning charcoal can emit toxic levels of carbon monoxide.
The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.
We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.
Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.