search

Liberman, Sa’ar agree on financial aid for families of Meron disaster victims

Israeli rescue forces and police at the scene of the fatal crush during Lag B'Omer celebrations on Mt. Meron, in northern Israel, on April 30, 2021. (David Cohen/Flash90)
Israeli rescue forces and police at the scene of the fatal crush during Lag B'Omer celebrations on Mt. Meron, in northern Israel, on April 30, 2021. (David Cohen/Flash90)

Finance Minister Avigdor Liberman and Justice Minister Gideon Sa’ar announce they have agreed to grant NIS 500,000 in “initial aid” to each of the families of the 45 people killed last year in a deadly crush during Lag B’Omer celebrations at Mount Meron in northern Israel.

“The pain cannot be eliminated, but we will do everything in our capabilities to provide the maximum response for the families and we will take all precautions to prevent the next disaster,” Liberman says in a joint statement with Sa’ar.

The proposal to grant the aid to each of the victims’ families requires government approval.

“The tremendous loss experienced by the 45 families in Israel and the Jewish Diaspora is not compensable. The least the government can do is make sure that a case like this doesn’t happen again and to economically assist the families that were harmed,” says Sa’ar.

comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed