The IDF confirmed Tuesday that two crossings between Gaza and Israel opened Tuesday morning after being closed down for two days.
The Erez and Kerem Shalom crossings had been ordered shut after a rocket fired from Gaza struck Israeli territory on Friday, without causing any casualties or damage.
The rocket was the first to hit Israeli soil since September 16, and the second since the end of the Jewish state’s 50-day war on Gaza terrorists.
Erez is the main humanitarian crossing, while Kerem Shalom is the primary crossing used for goods, including those intended for reconstructing Gaza following the conflict.
Israel began allowing goods into and out of the Strip several weeks ago, following the scheduling of further ceasefire talks and an announcement by the Palestinians that they had agreed in principle on the Palestinian Authority taking over control of Gaza from Hamas.
A ceasefire agreed between Israel and Gaza’s Hamas rulers took effect on August 26, ending a conflict that claimed 2,140 Palestinian lives and 72 on the Israeli side, 66 of them soldiers.
Israel has said that about least half of the Palestinians killed in the conflict were fighters from Hamas and other organizations and that civilian deaths are Hamas’s responsibility because it fires from civilian centers.
Both sides are expected to resume talks soon in Cairo as part of an effort to keep the ceasefire in place.
Egypt postponed the original date for the talks last week following an attack on its army that left 31 dead that it said was connected to Gaza, which prompted Egypt to close its border crossings with Gaza and begin construction of a buffer zone on the border.