Palestinian confirmed killed as Istanbul attack death toll climbs
search

Palestinian confirmed killed as Istanbul attack death toll climbs

At least 13 foreigners among 41 killed in triple bombing at Ataturk airport; seven Palestinians injured, officials say

Dov Lieber is The Times of Israel's Arab affairs correspondent.

A mother of victims killed the day before in a suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's airport, cries on June 29, 2016 in Istanbul (AFP PHOTO / BULENT KILIC)
A mother of victims killed the day before in a suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's airport, cries on June 29, 2016 in Istanbul (AFP PHOTO / BULENT KILIC)

One Palestinian was killed and at least seven other Palestinians were injured during a bloody attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport, officials confirmed Wednesay, as the death toll rose to 41, with more than 230 wounded at the airport’s busy international terminal Tuesday night.

The official PA news agency Wafa received confirmation of the victims from the Palestinian ambassador to Turkey, Faed Mustafa.

The ambassador said at least seven Palestinians were injured with light to serious injuries. He added that there were still a number of Palestinians missing.

The Palestinian killed during the attack was named as Nisrin Hashim Shafee Hammad.

The brother of Hammad’s husband, Saud, told the Palestinian news station Wattan that the family was in Istanbul for a three day vacation.

They were just leaving the airport to go to their hotel when the attackers arrived, killing his wife, and injuring lightly his daughter and brother. The Hammad family reportedly lives in Saudi Arabia for work.

The Turkish government will cover the medical expenses for all the Palestinian victims, the ambassador added, according to the Ma’an News Agency.

Workers assess damage at the explosions and attacks site in Ataturk airport's international arrivals terminal on June 29, 2016, a day after a suicide bombing and gun attack targeted Istanbul's airport, killing at least 36 people. / AFP PHOTO / OZAN KOSE
Workers assess damage at the explosions and attacks site in Ataturk airport’s international arrivals terminal on June 29, 2016, a day after a suicide bombing and gun attack targeted Istanbul’s airport, killing at least 36 people. / AFP PHOTO / OZAN KOSE

The attacks Tuesday night struck at the international terminal at Ataturk, one of the world’s largest air travel hubs, and many of those killed were identified as foreigners,including: five Saudis, two Iraqis, one Tunisian, an Uzbek, a Chinese, an Iranian, a Ukrainian and a Jordanian national.

Saudi press reports indicated seven people from the kingdom had been killed in the attacks.

No Israelis were injured in the attack, the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem said Wednesday morning.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that early signs suggested the Islamic State terror group was behind the triple suicide bombing at the Istanbul airport.

The three suicide bombers opened fire at passengers with automatic rifles before blowing themselves up, Yildirim said.

He did not identify the bombers or give their nationality.

The prime minister added that the attackers had arrived at the airport by taxi. He ruled out any security failings at Ataturk.

read more:
comments