SANAA, Yemen — Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed to have launched on Monday a fresh drone attack against Israel, but there was no sign of it in the Jewish state.
The Houthis, who claim large swaths of the impoverished country on the south of the Arabian Peninsula, claimed without evidence that its latest strike temporarily halted activity at Israeli military bases and airports.
But there were no sirens or infiltration alerts set off indicating any such intrusion, and airports and military bases across the country appeared to continue operating as normal. The IDF did not provide any comment on Monday on the Houthi claims.
An unsourced Channel 12 TV report suggested that the purported drones from Yemen may have been shot down by Jordan. Other Houthi attacks over the past few weeks were intercepted by the US and Israel.
Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said on X, formerly Twitter, that “the Yemeni armed forces… launched a batch of drones during the past hours at various sensitive targets of the Israeli enemy in the occupied territories.”
“As a result of the operation, the activity at the targeted bases and airports stopped for several hours.”
Last week, the Houthis claimed a drone attack and said they had carried out three earlier strikes with drones and ballistic missiles.
They have said they are acting as part of the “axis of resistance” against Israel, which includes Iran-backed groups in Lebanon, Syria and Iraq.
Houthi forces “continue to carry out more qualitative military operations in support of the Palestinian people… until the brutal Israeli aggression against our brothers in Gaza stops,” Saree posted on Monday.
The ongoing war erupted when Hamas terrorists stormed from Gaza into southern Israel on October 7, massacring some 1,400 people, mostly civilians, and seizing over 240 hostages in the deadliest attack in the Jewish state’s history.
The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza claims that more than 10,000 people, most of them children or women, have been killed in Israeli strikes in the Strip. That figure cannot be verified independently and is thought to include the terror group’s own fighters as well as Palestinian civilians killed by misfired rockets from Gaza.
Since the conflict began, there have been a string of attacks on US forces in Iraq and Syria as well as almost daily exchanges of fire across the Israel-Lebanon border between Hezbollah and the IDF.