Soldier critically hurt in shooting moved to rehab, still unconscious

Soldier critically hurt in shooting moved to rehab, still unconscious

More than two months after Givat Assaf attack, Netanel Felber’s condition is stable, but it is unknown whether he will wake up

Netanel Felber, in an undated photograph. (courtesy)
Netanel Felber, in an undated photograph. (courtesy)

A soldier critically injured in a West Bank shooting attack in December was transferred to a rehabilitation center Wednesday, but remains unconscious, a health official said.

Netanal Felber suffered severe gunshot wounds to his head during the attack by a Palestinian gunman at a bus stop near the Givat Assaf settlement outpost on December 13.

He was rushed to Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem, where he underwent surgery and has been treated ever since. Currently stable, he will now undergo rehabilitation treatment, though it remains unclear if he will regain consciousness, a hospital spokesperson said.

Felber’s family moved to Israel from the United States over a decade ago.

Two other soldiers were killed in the attack. Several people were injured, and most have since recovered.

In the attack, a Palestinian terrorist opened fire at the bus stop near Givat Assaf, killing two soldiers who have been identified as Staff Sgt. Yovel Mor Yosef, 20, and Sgt. Yosef Cohen, 19.

A photo composite shows Sgt. Yosef Cohen, left, and Staff Sgt. Yovel Mor Yosef of the IDF’s Kfir Brigade. (Israel Defense Forces)

The shooter, Asem Barghouti, was arrested in the home of an alleged accomplice in the nearby village of Abu Shukheidim on January 8.

Braghouti, along with his brother Salih, is also accused of carrying out a shooting attack on December 9 outside the Ofra settlement, in which seven Israelis were injured, among them a seven-months pregnant woman, who was seriously wounded. The woman’s baby was delivered in an emergency operation, but died days later.

Asem (L) and Salih (R) Barghouti at a rally in Kobar after the former was released from Israeli prison in April 2018 (screenshot: Twitter)

Salih Barghouti was shot dead three days later in the brothers’ hometown of Kobar as he attacked Israeli security forces in an attempt to evade arrest. A day after that, Asem Barghouti carried out the attack outside Givat Assaf.

The Israel Defense Forces earlier this month announced its intention to demolish the homes of the brothers.

read more: