Good and bad bacteria — both govern your gut health. These bacteria affect not only your digestion but also your immune health, energy levels, and weight. By delivering a dose of good bacteria, probiotics help you experience the excellent benefits of balanced gut bacteria. These supplements have become immensely popular, as they have helped countless people fight stomach discomfort, irritation, and indigestion.
Unfortunately, not all probiotic supplements are created equal, despite all claiming to pack your gut with several good bacteria. Understandably, it may seem like a daunting task to pick a quality probiotic.
But, do not worry. After thorough research, we present you with the ultimate probiotic supplements today. These supplements will help you in the best possible way to deal with your digestive issues.
Probiotic Supplements For Bloating, Gut Health, IBS & More
1. Overall Best Probiotic: YourBiology
2. Best Probiotic For Men: Biotics 8
3. Best Probiotic Supplement For Gut Health: Oweli
4. Best Probiotic For Immunity: Probulin
5. Best For Better Immune Health: Garden Of Life
#1. YourBiology — Overall Best Probiotic
One of the most potent probiotics, Gut+, is a YourBiology product crafted exclusively for women to improve their digestive health. The brand incorporates live strains backed by clinical research and offers a tested formula to ensure the best efficacy.
This probiotic contains four potent live strains of good bacteria, which deliver 40 billion CFUs without any side effects. Its patented MAKtrek® Bipass Technology is derived from brown seaweed, shields the bacteria from stomach acid, and delivers them directly to the small intestine, ensuring you get every possible benefit of good gut bacteria. It also contains prebiotic fiber to help nourish the beneficial bacteria on their journey to the small intestine.
Besides aiding better digestion and addressing issues like gas, bloating, and upset stomach, this supplement helps boost immune health and skin health. The brand also helps relieve stress, enhance energy and focus, curb appetite, shed excess fat via bowel movements, and feel lighter and fit. The brand claims that you will notice an improvement in your health in as early as two weeks and a significant change in a month or two.
This made-in-USA product needs no refrigeration. It is free of gluten, soy, dairy, GMOs, and preservatives. The brand prioritizes strict quality control and manufactures this supplement in a GMP-certified, US-based facility.
This user-friendly brand offers free shipping and amazing discounts on bulk purchases. The brand is highly confident about its superior formula and offers a 60-day money-back guarantee if you don’t find it beneficial enough.
Several women have benefitted from this powerful probiotic and highly recommend it for better health.
Excellent formula to boost women’s gut health
Natural, gluten-free, soy-free, and non-GMO formula free of preservatives
Made-in-USA product manufactured in GMP-certified facilities
The formula is a blend of prebiotics and probiotics to ensure the proper nourishment of bacteria
Contains 40 billion CFUs of clinically proven stains
This probiotic packs four live bacteria strains
The patented MAKtrek® Bipass Technology derived from brown seaweed shields the bacteria from stomach acid as they travel to the small intestine
The formula needs no refrigeration
The brand offers 100% satisfaction and a 60-day money-back guarantee
Free shipping is available
Mode of action
- Boosts good gut bacteria
- Helps deal with upset stomach, constipation, or bloating
- Helps reduce stress
- Boosts mood, energy, and focus
- Improves digestion
- Helps you feel lighter and slimmer
- Reduces negative inflammatory response
- Improves skin health
- Strengthens your immunity
- The brand incorporates the exact ratio of probiotics with the highest potential to ensure the best efficacy and reduce the risk of any stomach-related issues
- Two capsules per day (one during the day and the other in the evening)
- A clinically proven formula for women
- No refrigeration required
- MAKtrek® marine polysaccharide complex
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Free shipping
- Free e-guides with every purchase
- Only available online
#2. Biotics 8 — Best Probiotic For Men
Finally, we have one of the most potent probiotics on our list, Biotics 8 by Bauer, a company that is a one-stop shop for superior products containing science-backed ingredients.
One of its best probiotic supplements is Biotics 8, specifically designed to support men’s wellness and relieve their digestive tract issues like bloating or antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Besides, it helps boost your immune system, enhances energy, and betters your focus and mental health. This formula also enables you to improve your skin health and get a good night’s sleep.
The potent formulation of Biotics 8 contains 20 billion probiotic cell counts delivering a combination of nine bacterial strains. These strains work best to support your gut health. Additionally, this formula comprises digestive enzymes like amylase, protease, lipase, prebiotic fiber-inulin, and nutrients like Vitamin D. This formula is safe and associated with no discomfort or side effects. Instead of sugar, this formula incorporates fructooligosaccharides, a prebiotic with a subtle sweet taste.
The brand gets all its products carefully examined by experts to ensure their quality. You get 60 capsules in a bottle, which can last you for a month.
This buyer-friendly brand offers free shipping worldwide. It even provides a 60-day money-back guarantee if you are unhappy with the effects of its products.
Users love these quality products mainly because the brand offers them at a reasonable price compared to similar brands.
Biotics 8 is a powerful formula designed for men to help promote a healthy digestive system and achieve holistic wellness.
Contains ten probiotic strains with 20 billion CFUs to deliver multiple health benefits.
The formula contains added enzymes like amylase, lipase, and protease enzymes to improve your digestive system.
Contains Vitamin D3 and chicory root for added benefits
The company offers free worldwide shipping
The brand offers a 60-day money-back guarantee if you don’t find the product effective enough
Mode of action
- Supports calm digestion
- Helps you get rid of gas and bloating
- Boosts mood and energy
- Promotes sturdy bones
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Assists weight management
- Promotes energy and focus
- Vitamin D3 helps facilitate calcium absorption and fight infections.
- Three capsules a day. You get 60 capsules in a bottle
- Contains three digestive enzymes
- Formulated with Vitamin D3 and chicory root
- Free worldwide shipping
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Needs to be kept in the refrigerator
#3. Oweli Probiotic — Best Probiotic Supplement For Gut Health
One of the most trustworthy and reputable brands, Oweli tops our list for offering the best probiotics. This brand provides an excellent range of high-quality dietary supplements using simple yet powerful ingredients. Its probiotics can help you maintain and support a healthy digestive system and improve your overall health. This brand incorporates only natural and science-backed ingredients in its supplements.
Its unique formula delivers gut-friendly bacteria directly to your intestines and helps maintain the balance of beneficial gut bacteria for better health. This full-spectrum probiotic formula contains potent strains that promote gut wellness, immune response, and better health. It prevents bloating, gas, and constipation and has no side effects. Additionally, it promotes better metabolism, weight management, skin health, and a positive mindset.
This supplement contains 40 billion CFUs of beneficial probiotic strains employing MAKtrek® Bi-Pass Technology. Packed with ingredients boasting science-backed benefits, this probiotic formula is safe, free of GMOs and additives, and evaluated by labs to rule out the presence of harmful bacteria and contaminants. The company provides premium dietary supplements manufactured at FDA-registered facilities that follow GMP protocol.
This brand ships its products internationally to several countries. You can enjoy its free shipping policy on purchases exceeding $75. If you don’t find the supplement satisfactory, the brand also offers you a 100-day money-back guarantee on its products. Several users have vouched for the beneficial effects of this formula, making it immensely popular.
- A potent multi-strain formula that optimizes gut health by maintaining healthy gut bacteria
- A full-spectrum formula containing 40 million CFUs of beneficial and potent probiotic strains
- MAKtrek® Bi-Pass Technology ensures better efficiency by enabling the strains to survive stomach acid and reach the small and large intestine
- Four potent and beneficial probiotic strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Lactobacillus paracasei
A safe formula free of additives, added sugar, GMOs, and other detrimental ingredients
- It is a lab-tested and made-in-USA formula
- Product formulated in FDA-registered and CGMP-compliant facilities
- Confident about its effective products, the brand offers a 100-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied
Mode of action
- Helps maintain the ideal ratio of beneficial bacteria in the gut and prevents gas, bloating, and constipation.
- Promotes better digestive health and overall wellness
- Supports metabolism, weight management, and ideal skin health
- Enhances mood and feeling of wellbeing
- Supports immune health by promoting the production of more antibodies
- Two capsules a day with a meal. A bottle contains 60 capsules
- A full-spectrum potent probiotic
- 40 billion CFUs of beneficial strains
- MAKtrek® Bi-Pass Technology
- Science-backed ingredients
- Safe and lab-tested formula
- No added sugar
- 100-day money-back guarantee
- Free shipping applies only to purchases of more than $75
#4. Probulin — Best Probiotic For Immunity
Next on our list is the most effective and best probiotic supplements by Probulin. This brand strongly believes that a healthy gut plays a vital role in overall wellness. Accordingly, it offers an impressive range of quality products focusing on gut health. This formula was designed by doctors who have more than 20 years of experience in delivering the health benefits of microbial strains to improve overall health, besides gut health.
The Total Care Probiotic formula was designed after rigorous research. The brand uses a MAXTrek3-D specialized delivery system, ensuring proper nourishment to your probiotics, so they arrive alive. This formula combines bacterial strains derived from vegetable and fruit fermentation and delivers 20 billion CFUs. You can rest assured about its quality, as this formula is third-party lab-tested for potency and stability. The premium Probulin formula helps remove gas, bloating, and constipation and improves digestion. Besides, it supports your immune system and benefits overall well-being.
This formula is shelf-stable and needs no refrigeration. The brand ships its products in environment-friendly insulation to protect your products. All products are 100% vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free and suitable for those having food allergies.
You can trust this brand, as all its products are manufactured using high-end technology in facilities certified by NSF and cGMP. The brand prioritizes strict quality control, thereby offering safe and effective products.
This brand offers free shipping on all orders above $50. Confident about its probiotics, the brand offers a 45-day money-back guarantee if you don’t find them helpful.
With all these perks, there is no doubt that this brand is extremely popular.
- Total Care probiotic is a 15-strain optimal blend (derived from fruit and vegetable fermentation) for best potency.
- Formulated by a board-certified doctor with more than two decades of experience
- Delivers 20 billion CFUs of beneficial bacteria
- The product is third-party lab-tested for stability and potency
- A vegan formula that is free of dairy, gluten, and GMOs
MAKTrek® 3-D Delivery System ensures nourishment, protection, and hydration of probiotics
- Shelf stable; needs no refrigeration
- The brand offers shipping in a cold container to keep the probiotics’ quality intact
- You get a 45-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the product
- Free shipping on orders above $50
- This environment-friendly brand uses recycled material for packaging.
Mode of action
- Supports digestive health
- Improves immune function
- Helps you deal with occasional gas, bloating, and irregularities
Supports overall well being
- One capsule daily, with or without food, preferably at bedtime.
- An exceptional variety in probiotics to suit everyone’s needs
- Probiotics formulated by a doctor
- MAKTrek® 3-D Delivery System
- Cold and protected shipping
- No refrigeration required
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Free shipping only on orders above $50
#5. Garden Of Life — Best For Better Immune Health
Our next favorite is the Garden Of Life, a brand established in 2018 by co-founders who acknowledged the importance of the body’s microbiome and its role in overall health and well-being. The team of certified scientists, researchers, and doctors offers only well-researched and high-quality products for all, including children. The company promises the safety of its products by excluding 14 allergens defined by the European Food and Safety Authority (EFSA).
Its powerful broad-spectrum probiotic combines 24 active strains that work synergistically to support the trillions of bacteria that make up your microbiome. This formula goes beyond digestive issues and helps you maintain your overall health. This prebiotic delivers about 53.6 billion AFUs (active-fluorescent units) of bacteria. This formula is vegan and free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, fillers, and preservatives. This transparent brand shares detailed info on every strain incorporated in the formula and associated scientific studies, confirming their effectiveness.
The brand suggests you take two probiotic supplements daily on an empty stomach unless you have an extremely sensitive stomach (if so, it is better to eat something first). Its nested capsule technology with a patented algae delivery system makes this supplement stand out. The brand assures you of a 100% delivery rate of the prebiotics to your colon. The best part is that this supplement has a shelf life of 18 months once the seal has been opened. You don’t need to refrigerate them; they are safe at temperatures up to 78℉.
This environment-friendly brand prioritizes sustainability and delivers its supplements in reusable glass canisters and compostable biofilm. The brand ships its products internationally and offers free shipping throughout the US. Several users are happy with Seed and find its prebiotic effective for dealing with stomach and other health issues.
- This broad-spectrum formulation contains 24 probiotic strains (23 human-derived and one derived from fruit)
- Delivers 53.6 billion AFUs of bacteria to improve your gut health
- Capsule-in-capsule design of DS-01 Daily Synbiotic (adults) has two layers of capsules (containing prebiotics and probiotics) to ensure the best survival rate of bacteria when they reach the intestines.
- The specialized formulation for kids and adults ensures maximum benefits for every age group.
- Both formulations are backed by clinical research and tested in the Simulator of the Human Intestinal Microbial Ecosystem (SHIME®)
- The brand offers its products in highly convenient and environmentally-friendly packaging.
- Free of dairy, gluten, soy, GMOs, nuts, binders, and preservatives
- You need not refrigerate this product, and it is stable for 18 months at temperatures up to 79°F
- Free US shipping
Mode of action
- Promotes digestive health and eases GI discomfort, bloating, and constipation
- Maintains gut barrier function and integrity
- Supports healthy gut immune function
- Benefits heart health
- Promotes healthy skin
- Supports folate production
- Promotes healthy cholesterol levels
- Two capsules a day on an empty stomach
- Capsule-in-capsule design
- Tested in SHIME®
- Free of allergens
- No refrigeration required
- Only available online
- Slightly more expensive than other brands
How We Chose The Best Probiotic Supplements For You?
To pick the best probiotic supplements, we assessed them against a set of criteria. Eventually, we will consider the factors you must consider when picking the best probiotic. But first, let’s go through the criteria we considered while listing the best probiotic supplements.
What We Looked For
- Whether the probiotic has a good CFU or colony-forming unit (live cultures) count, at least one billion per serving (daily), to benefit your gut health
- Whether the probiotics deliver many strains of high-quality bacteria to optimize digestion and overall health
- Whether these supplements include other helpful substances, such as digestive enzymes, that fuel the growth of useful bacteria
- Whether the brand manufactures an appropriate delivery system (capsules have enteric coatings) to ensure better effectiveness
- Whether the probiotics contain medically approved and quality ingredients
- Whether the probiotics are free of toxins, fillers, and harmful additives
- Whether the brand is reputable and maintains transparency in offering quality products
- Whether the brands make exaggerated promises or deliver products that stand by their claims
- Whether the probiotics are manufactured in qualified facilities that abide by the GMP protocol
- Whether the probiotics are easy to store
- Whether positive customer reviews back the probiotics to confirm their effectiveness and health benefits
So, after thorough research, we could discard the average and fake products and select the best supplements that fit most of our standards. These probiotics are some of the healthiest and finest supplements on the market and may benefit you in the best possible way.
Precautions While Using Probiotics
Although most probiotics incorporate Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) ingredients, these may cause side effects in some people, especially those with certain medical conditions, compromised immune systems, or chronic illnesses. Such people should refrain from using probiotics unless advised to do so. Also, because of the lack of enough evidence of the benefits of probiotics in people with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), those with this condition need to avoid the supplement. That is why we suggest you consult your healthcare provider before trying probiotics to relieve symptoms of any medical condition or even otherwise to ensure your safety.
A Buying Guide On Probiotics & Their Usage
Good bacteria in natural foods like yogurt or probiotic drinks may not necessarily survive in the stomach’s acidic environment and may thrive only under specific conditions (like low temperature). Thanks to the recent advancements in technology, companies have come up with ways to increase the efficacy by which the probiotic strains can get to the gut and offer you the desired benefits without any severe side effects.
However, given that so many probiotic supplements dominate the market, choosing the apt one for you can be tricky. So, to get a clear idea, we will guide you with the factors to consider before ordering your probiotic supplement.
#1. CFU Count
Your formula must deliver at least a billion CFUs to your body to be effective. The recommended brands offer 10 to 50 billion CFUs, assuring the best possible benefits. However, rather than focusing on CFUs, prioritizing the product’s ingredients and strain types is more important. The strain types must have science-backed benefits for your health, especially your digestive system.
#2. Diversity of Probiotic Strains
Besides the CFU count of the probiotic formula, you must check the details of probiotic strains. Not all strains are beneficial, and some people with compromised immune systems may encounter unwanted effects. Only certain high-quality strains in designated concentrations aid healthy digestion. It is also essential to check if the strains resist the stomach’s acidic environment and help optimize gut health.
#3. Product Labels
According to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the supplement’s label must depict all the product details. Go for a brand that provides complete information about the probiotic on its label, details of the strains, the amount of each probiotic strain, and a list of other ingredients. Additionally, you must check if all the ingredients are natural and non-allergic to ensure the safety and potency of the formula.
#4. Formulated With Prebiotics
Probiotics or live microorganisms get nourishment from prebiotics (specialized plant fibers that promote good bacteria growth). Besides, prebiotics maximizes the potential of probiotics. So, a formula that offers a blend of prebiotics and probiotics is more likely to give the best-desired results.
#5. System of Distribution
If probiotics are not properly encapsulated, the live bacteria in them can be easily destroyed by the stomach acids even before they can reach your digestive system, rendering them ineffective. Hence, you must opt for brands that offer probiotics with an appropriate delivery system that carries these bacteria safely and directly to the intestine, getting you the best possible benefits.
#6. Shelf Life and Storage
As the live bacteria in the supplement die over time, it is important to consider the product’s shelf life. Besides, some probiotics need to be refrigerated to maintain the product’s potency, while others don’t require refrigeration. So, depending on your preferences and convenience, you can decide the supplement you want to opt for.
#7. Brand’s Reliability
Reputable brands usually produce dependable and high-quality supplements. Trustworthy brands use premium ingredients and manufacture their supplements in FDA-approved facilities that abide by the GMP protocol. You can get an idea about the brand’s reputation by checking the customer reviews online on various social media channels. Such reviews also help you get first-hand info on the effectiveness and safety of the product.
We suggest you refrain from buying the cheapest products on the market, as such supplements do not guarantee the quality of the product or its potency. However, don’t blindly go for the pricey ones; check all the above criteria and pick the value-for-money supplement. The best way to save money is to opt for bulk discounts from trustworthy brands.
FAQs About Probiotics
Q1: How frequently should we take probiotics?
A: Probiotics usually benefit people on an antibiotic regimen or those recovering from an illness. Some people take probiotics to boost their digestive health and deal with minor stomach issues. So, you can take these supplements till your problems are resolved. However, it is best to discuss the duration of the probiotic course with your doctor to ensure the best effects and safety.
Q2: When should I take a probiotic?
A: Probiotics help improve your digestive health by balancing digestive enzymes and maintaining a balance of good bacteria. They help resolve stomach problems like pain, cramping, bloating, diarrhea, and constipation. Besides, they may even help relieve vomiting, nausea, and UTIs. Some people have even noted relief in GI conditions like ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome. Different brands tell you to take them at different times of the day, depending on their ingredients. So, it is best to follow their instructions while taking these probiotic supplements.
Q3: How soon will I notice results with probiotics?
A: The time taken for probiotics to take effect depends on your physiology and the type of probiotic strain. That is why some users notice an improvement in their gut health within a few days or a week, while others may take two to three weeks of daily use to notice better gut health. Be patient with your body and give your probiotics sufficient time before concluding they don’t work.
Q4: How do I store my probiotics?
A: Probiotic supplements are usually sensitive to humidity, oxygen, heat, and light. That is why they should be stored in a cool, dark, and dry place, away from sunlight. So, medical cabinets or closets are preferred locations. Besides, follow the instructions provided by the brand. Some supplements need to be refrigerated, while others don’t require refrigeration.
What Are The Top 5 Probiotics On The Market?
Probiotics help enhance your gut health and immune system and promote overall well-being by delivering a blend of safe and healthy microbes. The best probiotics help increase the natural selection of useful bacteria and eliminate pathogens that may harm our health. To ensure our best health, we must choose appropriate probiotics.
While scouting for the best probiotic brand, you will find that the internet is full of brands offering a wide range of products, making it overwhelming to pick one. We have finalized the finest brands that offer potent, safe, and quality probiotics and can help you improve your digestive health.
Besides incorporating powerful ingredients in their products, these brands follow high quality standards and hygienic packaging methods and are equipped with a helpful and responsive customer support team. These brands certainly deliver value-for-money products with promising results.
Furthermore, we have also guided you in choosing a premium probiotic supplement. We hope you can now pick a product that improves your gut health and brings you the relief you are looking for.
This article is sponsored content. No endorsement by The Times of Israel of advertiser products or services, real or implied, is intended. The Times of Israel editorial team did not contribute to this article.