search

Senior Israeli official told US that Iran nuke deal pullout was a mistake — report

Brig. Gen. (Res.) Dror Shalom, head of the Defense Ministry’s Political-Military Bureau (right) is seen during a Ukraine Security Consultative Group meeting at Ramstein Air Base in Ramstein, Germany, on April 26, 2022. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)
Brig. Gen. (Res.) Dror Shalom, head of the Defense Ministry’s Political-Military Bureau (right) is seen during a Ukraine Security Consultative Group meeting at Ramstein Air Base in Ramstein, Germany, on April 26, 2022. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

A senior Defense Ministry official told American officials during meetings in Washington last week that the Trump administration made a mistake by withdrawing the US from the Iran nuclear deal, the Walla news site reports.

Quoting unnamed Israeli and US officials, the report says Brig. Gen. (Res.) Dror Shalom, who heads the ministry’s Political-Military Bureau, made the remarks in talks with officials at the State Department and Defense Department.

According to the news site, Foreign Ministry Deputy Director-General Joshua Zarka was in the United States at the same time and delivered the opposite message.

An unnamed Israeli senior official quoted in the report says Shalom’s stance is long known but that he shouldn’t have expressed it to Biden administration officials, arguing they will use such remarks to boost their arguments for rejoining the nuclear deal.

comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed