Police on the trail of hit-and-run drivers in soldier’s death

Police on the trail of hit-and-run drivers in soldier’s death

Traffic cameras may hold vital clues to identify several motorists who drove over a 19-year-old lying in the road

Stuart Winer is a breaking news editor at The Times of Israel.

Rescue services at the scene of the crash (photo credit: Zaka/Flash90)
Rescue services at the scene of the crash (photo credit: Zaka/Flash90)

Police will use data from traffic cameras to identify the multiple drivers who ran over a female soldier and left her to die in the road over the weekend, Maariv reported on Monday.

Images from the cameras will be used to track down all of the vehicles that passed along Route 66 on Friday morning when Amansh Yazatsu died after being hit by at least three cars opposite a gas station near Kibbutz Hazorea in northern Israel.

Closed-circuit TV from the gas station did not record the accident, but police will examine images from cameras located at junctions leading to the section of road where the incident occurred.

Some of the drivers have already been interviewed by police and their involvement ruled out. The early hour of the accident meant that there were relatively few vehicles in the area, numbering a few dozen at most. In addition, Maariv reported that investigators were already reviewing mobile phone data to identify all devices that passed along the road at the time of the accident. Police said they were confident that they will soon contact the drivers of all vehicles that traveled along the road at the time of the accident.

At around 6:00 a.m. on Friday morning Yazatsu attempted to cross Route 66 after visiting a gas station near Kibbutz Hazorea. The 19-year-old was crossing the darkened, unlit road when a car hit her and the driver continued without stopping to help. As Yazatsu lay sprawled at the side of the road another vehicle hit her, also without stopping. A witness to the event, who was refueling at the gas station, contacted emergency services but even as he phoned, a third car hit Yazatsu.

Two young women in a car noticed her body in the road as they approached. Swerving to avoid her, their car overturned and they suffered minor injuries. Yazatsu was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 20-year-old woman contacted Afula Police on Friday and admitted she had run over Yazatsu. Police released her on bail after concluding she was not the first driver involved in the incident.

Hundreds attended Yazatsu’s funeral on Sunday morning when she was laid to rest in the Yokne’am military cemetery.


read more: