A Swedish prosecutor said Tuesday that one of two men held for allegedly throwing firebombs at a synagogue in the Swedish city of Gothenburg has been released.
Stina Lundqvist said the 18-year-old man, who was not further identified in line with Swedish practice, remains a suspect in December 10 attack in Sweden’s second largest city.
She said there was not sufficient evidence to keep him jailed while police investigate the attack. No one was injured and the firebombs didn’t damage the building.
Days after the Gothenburg synagogue was firebombed, a building in a Jewish cemetery in the Swedish city of Malmo was targeted in an apparent arson attack.
The two burning objects thrown at the cemetery’s chapel did not cause injuries or any damage.
In the wake of the incidents, Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven last week told the TT news agency that she was “terribly upset” by the attacks.
“There is no place for anti-Semitism in our Swedish society,” she said.
Other Swedish lawmakers have condemned the incidents and security around Jewish facilities in Sweden have been increased.
Earlier in December, anti-Jewish slogans were yelled during a small pro-Palestinian rally in Malmo to protest US President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
Trump’s announcement triggered denunciations and demonstrations around the world. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah movement and other groups organized mass protests while its rival, the Gaza-based terror group Hamas, has called for a third violent uprising against Israel.
Other protests against the change in US policy regarding Jerusalem have been held in cities across Europe, Africa and Asia.