Below are guidelines from the military’s Home Front Command in the event of a rocket attack:
Enter a protected space that can be reached within the time available, based on the following priorities:
- Mamad (residential protected room), Mamak (floor protected space), Mamam (institutional protected space), or a shelter. Close the door by turning the handle 90 degrees and make sure the external steel window and the inner glass window are closed.
- Inner stairwell: Without windows, openings or external walls. Sit on the stairs and not in the floor space. In a building with more than 3 floors, stay in the staircase that has at least 2 floors above it. In a building with less than 3 floors, stay in the middle floor.
- Inner room: With as few external walls, windows and openings as possible. Sit in an inner corner under a window line and not in front of the door.
- In an urban area, enter a shelter or a staircase of a nearby building. Do not stay in the entrance floor.
- In an open area, lie on the ground and protect your head with your hands. When a rocket hits the ground, the blast wave from the explosion may cause injuries from fragments to those standing or sitting.
In a vehicle
- Stop on the side of the road, get out of the car and enter a shelter or a stairwell in a nearby building.
- If you cannot reach shelter within the time available to reach shelter, get out and move away from the vehicle to the side of the road or beyond the separation fence, lie on the ground and protect your head with your hands.
- Only if you cannot get out of the vehicle, stop at the side of the road and bend below the window line.
- Stay in a protected space for 10 minutes to protect yourself against falling rocket shrapnel.
- Do not gather in the area of the event. Gathering is dangerous due to fears of another round of rockets.
- If you have identified suspicious objects, move away from the area, keep people away and report to the Israel Police by dialing 100, as soon as possible.
- For information on gathering restrictions and the time one has to seek shelter, enter the name of your town on the Home Front Command’s website.