Israel says it has received Hamas’s updated hostage deal proposal

Jacob Magid is The Times of Israel's US bureau chief

Demonstrators light fire outside headquarters of the Histadrut, calling for a general strike to pressure Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the current Israeli government to strike a deal to release the remaining Israelis held hostage in the Gaza Strip in Tel Aviv, June 29, 2024. (Jamal Awad/Flash90)
Demonstrators light fire outside headquarters of the Histadrut, calling for a general strike to pressure Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the current Israeli government to strike a deal to release the remaining Israelis held hostage in the Gaza Strip in Tel Aviv, June 29, 2024. (Jamal Awad/Flash90)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office says that the Mossad-led Israeli negotiating team has received Hamas’s latest ceasefire proposal from Qatari, Egyptian and US mediators.

“Israel is examining the proposal, and will provide the mediators with its response,” the statement from Netanyahu’s office says.

Israel submitted its latest hostage deal proposal on May 27. US President Joe Biden gave a high-stakes speech revealing some of the major details of the proposal on May 31 during which he noted that the Israeli offer was nearly identical to the previous one made by Hamas.

On June 11, Hamas submitted its response to the Israeli proposal, which the US went on to slam for including dozens of amendments, such as ones that went back on clauses Hamas had already agreed to and others that were beyond the pale.

In the weeks that followed, mediators worked to bring Hamas down on some of its demands, leading to the new proposal submitted by the terror group today.

Most Popular