Saudi Arabia intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen on Monday night, the military coalition supporting the Yemeni government against rebels says.
It was the second missile launch from Yemen since UN-brokered peace talks began in Kuwait on April 21 between the Huthi Shiite rebels and the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.
“From time to time there are breaches of the ceasefire, but we have to focus on finding a political solution for the Yemeni crisis,” Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir says after a Gulf Cooperation Council summit in Riyadh.
“We must support a peaceful solution and we support the Kuwait talks.”
The Saudi-led Arab coalition in March last year began air strikes and other military aid in support of Yemeni forces resisting the Huthis. The rebels, who still hold the capital Sanaa, had seized much of the country and are backed by Saudi Arabia’s regional rival Iran.