An electrical fault was the cause of a large fire at a mosque in Acre on Sunday, Israel’s rescue and emergency services said.
The blaze at the al-Jazzar Mosque in the northern town’s old city caused some damage to the outside structure. One person was lightly injured.
Seven firefighting teams battled the blaze, helped by hundreds of locals who asked to assist, according to media reports.
According to an initial investigation, it seems an electrical fault in the air conditioning in the women’s section led to the blaze.
Acre Mayor Shimon Lancry said the municipality would “help with whatever was needed to rehabilitate the mosque.”
The mosque is one of the oldest and largest in the country. It was built on the ruins of a church and completed in 1781.