DOHA — Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed Abdulrahman Al Thani says Doha doesn’t consider the current situation in Gaza to be a ceasefire, arguing that this would require an Israeli withdrawal from the entirety of the Strip.
“We are at the critical moment,” Al Thani says about the Gaza peace process during a panel discussion at the Doha Forum.
“What we have just done is a pause. We cannot consider it yet a ceasefire. A ceasefire cannot be completed unless there is a full withdrawal of the Israeli forces, there is stability back in Gaza [and] people can go in and out, which is not the case today,” he maintains.
At the start of the Gaza truce on October 10, Israel withdrew its forces to a newly drawn Yellow Line that roughly divides the Strip into eastern and western halves. While Israel was supposed to allow the reopening of the Rafah Crossing, it held off on doing so for well over a month, arguing that Hamas must release the remaining deceased hostages that are still in Gaza. The number of bodies now stands at one.
Earlier this week, Israel said it would allow the Rafah Crossing to reopen in one direction, for the transit of Palestinians out of Gaza, but Egypt has rejected this framework, insisting that Palestinians be allowed to enter the Strip as well.
Al Thani says the mediating countries Qatar, Turkey, Egypt and the US are “getting together in order to force the way forward for the next phase.”
A US official told The Times of Israel on Thursday that Washington is aiming to announce a transition to the second phase — which will see the operationalization of a technocratic Palestinian government and International Stabilization Force overseen by a Board of Peace headed by US President Donald Trump — in the next two weeks or so.
But Al Thani clarifies that Qatar also views phase two as “temporary because at the end of the day, if we are just resolving what happened in Gaza… it’s not enough. There is a root for this conflict.”
“This conflict is not only about Gaza, but also the West Bank. It’s about the rights of the Palestinians for their state,” the Qatari premier continues. “We are hoping that we can work together with the US administration to achieve this vision.”
Al Thani credits the Trump administration for its determination in the Gaza ceasefire talks, arguing that Washington’s willingness to speak directly with Hamas was what helped secure “breakthroughs” needed for an agreement in October.
Asked about opposition from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition partners to elements of the Trump peace plan that include a potential pathway to a future Palestinian state, the Qatari prime minister says the US role will be critical in ensuring that Israel adheres to the deal’s terms.
Pressed on Qatar’s decision to host Hamas’s leaders, Al Thani argues that this open channel with the terror group was critical for reaching every one of the ceasefire and hostage release deals throughout the Gaza war.
He argues that many of Qatar’s most vocal critics come from countries that rely on Doha’s mediation efforts, in an apparent reference to Israel, where many government officials have knocked the Gulf country over its ties to Hamas.
“Qatar provides a platform for those parties to talk. It doesn’t mean that we are taking one side or the other. Our role is to make sure that the dialogue is ongoing and the dialogue is coming out with a positive outcome… that ends conflicts,” Al Thani says.