Mother of Barkan terrorist gets 18-month sentence for failure to stop attack

Wafa Na’alowa also ordered to pay $11,000 in damages to families of two victims; time served means she is expected to be released in May 2020

File: Wafa Na'alowa at an Israeli military court (video screenshot)
File: Wafa Na'alowa at an Israeli military court (video screenshot)

The mother of a Palestinian terrorist who murdered two Israelis in the West Bank last year was sentenced on Tuesday to 18 months in prison and ordered to pay NIS 40,000 ($11,400) in damages to the victims’ families, for failing to stop her son from committing the attack.

Wafa Na’alowa had been convicted by the Samaria Military Court in May.

Since Na’alowa has already been jailed since October of last year, she is expected to be released in May 2020.

The right-wing advocacy and legal aid organization Honenu, which is working with the victims’ families, criticized the sentence as too light, and called on the military prosecution to appeal and seek double or triple the jail time for Na’alowa.

Na’alowa’s son Ashraf, an electrician who worked at a factory in the Barkan Industrial Park in the northern West Bank, shot and killed two co-workers, Kim Levengrond Yehezkel, 29, and Ziv Hajbi, 35, in the October 7, 2018 attack. Another Israeli woman was injured.

Kim Levengrond Yehezkel, 29 (left), and Ziv Hajbi, 35, who were killed in a terror shooting in the Barkan Industrial Park in the West Bank, October 7, 2018 (screenshots: Facebook)

The court found that Na’alowa knew her son was training with firearms to carry out an attack, and he informed her of his intention to become a “martyr.” However, she made no effort to stop him.

Ashraf Na’alowa, the Palestinian man who carried out a deadly terror attack on October 7, 2018 in the Barkan Industrial Park in the northern West Bank. (Courtesy)

Ashraf Na’alowa was shot dead in a December 13 raid in Nablus by an elite Israeli counterterrorism unit after a two-month manhunt. The Shin Bet security service has said Ashraf Na’alowa, from the West Bank village of Shuweika near Tulkarem, appeared to have been planning a second terror attack at the time of his killing.

Some days after his death, security forces partially demolished the terrorist’s home near Tulkarem. The structure itself was left intact while parts of its basement and first floor were destroyed by bulldozers. Sections of the building belonging to family members who were determined by Israeli security services to have played no role in the terror attack were left intact.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure:
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.