RAFAH, Gaza Strip — Egypt reopens Gaza’s main passenger crossing point for the first time in months for thousands of Palestinians who have been stranded on both sides of the border due to the coronavirus crisis.
Gaza residents holding Egyptian passports, foreign passports and patients seeking treatment abroad were to leave through the Rafah crossing point during its three-day opening, the Hamas-run interior ministry in Gaza says. Some 500 people are scheduled to exit today, the first time the crossing has allowed departures since March.
Palestinians stranded in Egypt and abroad will be allowed to return home, the ministry adds. Traffic for arrivals had been shut since May.
Gaza appears to have managed to keep the pandemic in check — in part because of an Israeli-Egyptian blockade that severely restricts movement in and out of the territory. Israel and Egypt imposed the blockade after the Islamic terror group Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007.
Gaza has reported 81 cases of the coronavirus, but all of the cases were people who were in mandatory quarantine centers set up by Hamas for anyone returning to the territory. There have been no reported cases of community transmission inside Gaza.
To prepare for thousands of Palestinians expected to return via Rafah, Hamas has opened more isolation facilities across the Gaza Strip.
Israel and Hamas are bitter enemies that have fought three wars and numerous skirmishes since 2007. Earlier today, Israel closed its only commercial crossing point with Gaza in response to explosives-laden balloons being launched by Palestinians into Israel. The balloons started dozens of fires in Israeli farmland near Gaza.
Israel said the Kerem Shalom crossing will be closed until further notice, but the passage of fuel, food and humanitarian goods is not affected.
— Agencies
Hamas security officers check the list of the passengers while waiting at the gate to cross the border to the Egyptian side of Rafah crossing, in Rafah, Gaza Strip, August 11, 2020. (AP Photo/Adel Hana)