Emanuel and Mira Riva, the Israeli couple killed in an attack at the Brussels Jewish Museum on Saturday, were laid to rest in Tel Aviv on Tuesday.

Hundreds attended the ceremony at the Kiryat Shaul cemetery, including Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch and Belgian Ambassador to Israel John Cornet d’Elzius, both of whom spoke at the service.

Aharonovitch, in whose ministry Emanuel Riva had previously worked, described the victims as “some of the better people in Israel” and “the salt of the earth.”

The Rivas were “people with values, modest, committed” who served the state faithfully for many years, and “formed a loving, good family, and raised their two daughters with dedication and love,” he said.

The Belgian ambassador offered his condolences as well, and pledged that his country would do the utmost to track down the killer.

“Our hearts are broken,” he said. “We mourn with you the deaths of your loved ones who were killed in the criminal attack. The Belgian nation is dismayed and stands united against acts of anti-Semitism.”

The Rivas’ daughters, Ayelet and Shira, aged 15 and 17, wrote a eulogy that was read by Ayelet.

Relatives of Emmanuel and Miriam Riva attend the couple's funeral at the Kiryat Shaul cemetery in Tel Aviv, on Tuesday, May 27, 2014. (photo credit: Amir Levi/Flash90)

Relatives of Emmanuel and Miriam Riva attend the couple’s funeral at the Kiryat Shaul cemetery in Tel Aviv, on Tuesday, May 27, 2014. (photo credit: Amir Levi/Flash90)

“Before their trip they asked that we do a lot of things together when they get back, but they will never return,” they wrote. “We could not ask for better parents, with better hearts, and especially for wanting the best for us.”

Emanuel Riva’s twin brother, Aryeh, promised that his family would “treat the girls as if they were our own daughters.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the two daughters on Tuesday morning to offer his condolences, pledging to “do everything in his power” to help them.

Belgian police Tuesday were still hunting for a suspect in the shooting Saturday that killed four people. Surveillance footage from the scene was released to the public to help identify him. The investigation was transferred Monday to the federal public prosecutor’s office authorized to handle terrorist cases and spokeswoman Wenke Roggen said a probe had been opened into the “terrorist” assassination.

Police analysis of images from the surveillance cameras at the museum showed “a man killing in cold blood… with great determination,” Roggen said.

“These facts combined with the fact that the shooting lasted less than a minute and a half leads us to think there may be a terrorist motive,” she told a news conference.

“Clearly this was a terrorist attack,” Israel’s Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said Tuesday. “We await the results” of the Belgian investigation, he added.

AFP contributed to this report.