search

Iran publishes photos of closed hearing into 2020 plane shootdown

This photo released by Mizan News Agency, shows a hearing in an Iranian military courtroom for the 2020 downing of a Ukrainian plane that killed 176 people, Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021, in Tehran, Iran. (Koosha Mahshid Falahi/Mizan News Agency via AP)
This photo released by Mizan News Agency, shows a hearing in an Iranian military courtroom for the 2020 downing of a Ukrainian plane that killed 176 people, Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021, in Tehran, Iran. (Koosha Mahshid Falahi/Mizan News Agency via AP)

Iranian state media publishes photographs of the trial investigating the shootdown of a Ukrainian passenger jet in 2020 by the country’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, trying to tamp down criticism of the largely closed-door proceeding.

The Mizan news agency, an arm of the country’s judiciary, shows pictures of the inside of the military courtroom, with at least one man and a woman holding up pictures identified as victims of the downing of Ukraine International Airlines flight No. PS752. Missile strikes killed all 176 people on board the January 3, 2020 flight.

But online, people reacted angrily to an image of a judge sitting in front of a large sign that euphemistically read: “The court reviewing the incident of flight PS752 Ukraine.” They call on the court to clearly state that the plane had been shot down by the Guard.

The state-run IRNA news agency says the trial that began Sunday will see 10 suspects tried. Iranian media have not identified those charged and some photos published by Mizan had individuals’ faces blurred out.

Mourners gather at the Imam Mahdi Islamic Centre in Toronto, Ontario on January 12, 2020 to mourn Sahar Haghjoo and her 9 year old daughter Elsa Jadidi who were among the victims of Ukrainian Airlines flight 752 which was shot down over Iran this past week. (Photo by Geoff Robins / AFP)

An association of the victims’ families also criticized the hearing, saying in a Facebook post that they “don’t recognize the court.” They also alleged that none of the defendants were present at Sunday’s hearing.

Following three days of denial in January 2020 in the face of mounting evidence, Iran finally acknowledged that the Guard mistakenly downed the Ukrainian jetliner with two surface-to-air missiles. In preliminary reports on the disaster last year, Iranian authorities blamed an air defense operator who they said mistook the Boeing 737-800 for an American cruise missile.

The shootdown happened the same day Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on US troops in Iraq in retaliation for an American drone strike that killed a top Iranian general. While Guard officials publicly apologized for the incident, the hesitancy of Iran to elaborate on what happened in the incident shows the power the force wields.

comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed