search

Trial date finalized for Charlie Hebdo, Hyper Cacher attacks

14 people to go on trial May 4 to July 10 for aiding terrorists in January 2015 attacks on satirical magazine, kosher supermarket in Paris

A photo taken on January 4, 2016, at a printing house near Paris shows the cover of the latest edition of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, bearing a headline that translates as 'One year on: The assassin still at large,' in an edition to mark the first anniversary of the terror attack. (AFP/Martin Bureau)
A photo taken on January 4, 2016, at a printing house near Paris shows the cover of the latest edition of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, bearing a headline that translates as 'One year on: The assassin still at large,' in an edition to mark the first anniversary of the terror attack. (AFP/Martin Bureau)

PARIS, France — Fourteen people will go on trial in Paris next May over the January 2015 attacks on the Charlie Hebdo newspaper and a kosher supermarket that heralded a wave of jihadist strikes on France, judicial sources said Wednesday.

The trial will take place from May 4 to July 10, lawyers and a judicial source told AFP.

Seventeen people were killed over three days in and around Paris in January 2015 in the attacks.

Cherif Kouachi and his brother Said killed 12 people on January 7 at the Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris, including some of France’s best known cartoonists.

Over the following two days, a third gunman, Amedy Coulibaly, shot dead a young policewoman and killed four people at a kosher supermarket.

Illustrative: French police officers stand outside a Hyper Cacher supermarket adjacent to the Promo & Destock store, a French kosher grocery store in Creteil, south of Paris, that was destroyed in an arson attack on January 9, 2018. (AFP Photo/Alain Jocard)

All three gunmen, who had claimed allegiance to jihadist groups, were killed by police.

The 14 accused are suspected of having provided logistical aid to the attackers.

The case will be heard by a special court seated, for logistical reasons, in a new, bigger building in the extreme northwest of Paris and not the Palace of Justice in the center that would ordinarily have hosted it, the sources said.

Eleven of the suspects are in detention, but three are set to be tried in their absence.

An image released on January 9, 2015 by the French police shows Hayat Boumeddiene (L) and Amedy Coulibaly (R), who killed four people at a Jewish grocery store on January 9, 2015. (photo credit: AFP/FRENCH POLICE)

They include Hayat Boumedienne, the partner of Coulibaly, who Turkish authorities said at the time had crossed into Syria as her partner shot the policewoman.

Also on the run are brothers Mohamed and Mehdi Belhoucine, who also left for the Iraq-Syria region just before the attacks.

Unconfirmed reports have said all three could now be dead after fierce bombing campaigns in the area to defeat the jihadists there.

Responsibility for the attack against Charlie Hebdo was claimed by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, an offshoot of the main Al-Qaeda organization.

When it begins in April 2020, the trial of the 14 will be the first such major process against jihadists in France since the 2017 trial over the 2012 attacks by Mohamed Merah.

Merah killed three soldiers in March 2012 before gunning down a rabbi, two of the rabbi’s children, aged three and five, and an eight-year-old girl at a Jewish school in Toulouse. A police sniper killed him during a siege at his home.

His brother Abdelkader was in April handed a 30-year jail term as an accomplice in the murders.

A wave of jihadist attacks on France that started with the Charlie Hebdo killings has claimed 255 lives so far, including 90 at the Bataclan concert hall as part of coordinated strikes on multiple Paris targets on November 13, 2015.

read more:
comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed