Belgian prince likens criticism of his conduct to Holocaust persecution of Jews
search

Belgian prince likens criticism of his conduct to Holocaust persecution of Jews

Following outcry, the royal says he will visit Holocaust memorial

Belgium's Prince Laurent waves as he leaves a church service at the St. Gudule cathedral in Brussels on Sunday, July 21, 2013 (AP Photo/Ezequiel Scagnetti)
Belgium's Prince Laurent waves as he leaves a church service at the St. Gudule cathedral in Brussels on Sunday, July 21, 2013 (AP Photo/Ezequiel Scagnetti)

A senior royal in Belgium said in an interview published last week that criticism of his conduct reminds him of the persecution of Jews during the Holocaust.

Prince Laurent, who has a record both of making provocative statements and of controversy around his use of public funds, made the remark in an interview with Het Nieuwsblad, prompting criticism by Belgian Jews.

Laurent said he feels that he has become a “punching bag” solely “because I’m the brother or son of a king. When this sort of thing happens, I think immediately about the Jews who were shot dead only because they were Jewish.”

The prince — younger brother to Philippe, king of the Belgians – is the subject of criticism in parliament for allegedly submitting inaccurate reports of his work hours.

Last year, Laurent faced a reduction in pay for attending without authorization a ceremony celebrating the 90th anniversary of the founding of China’s People’s Liberation Army – in its earliest years, a repressive tool that China’s Communist rulers used to kill millions of political opponents and countless others. The gaffe cost him 10 percent of his annual allowance of $359,000.

Following criticism over the comparison, Laurent said he would visit the Kazerne Dossin Holocaust Memorial in Mechelen in September, according to Michael Freilich, editor-in-chief of the Joods Actueel newspaper.

In 2016, Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel banned the prince from unauthorized talks with senior foreign officials following a series of unapproved excursions, including to the Democratic Republic of the Congo and to Libya between 2008 and 2010, where he had been hoping to go into business with one of Muammar Gaddafi’s sons.

read more:
comments