Three Israelis detained for over a week in Turkey for harassing flight attendant

Six other passengers held, then released; sister of one man says he was supposed to be sent back to Israel but is being kept in a remote detention center

A Pegasus plane seen at the Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv, on September 03, 2014 (Moshe Shai/Flash90)
A Pegasus plane seen at the Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv, on September 03, 2014 (Moshe Shai/Flash90)

Three Israelis have been detained in Turkey for over a week after allegedly harassing an attendant on an Air Pegasus flight to Istanbul, a family member told Israeli media on Tuesday.

The three were among nine people detained after their flight landed. The other six were released after being questioned.

According to the sister of one of the detained men — identified as David Shsoshkov, 30, from the southern town of Sderot — he and his friends filmed the attendant and were laughing at her as she gave the preflight demonstration.

The attendant asked him to delete the film, which he did, the sister Natali told Ynet. “They assumed that everything was okay. But it was not.”

On landing the attendant called the police and told them the men had sexually harassed her and they were handcuffed and taken away.

Six of them were later released after questioning, and three, including Shoshkov, were sent to a detention center. The other two detained men were not identified.

Natali said that the three had a hearing and were told that they would be deported. However, they were sent to a detention center four hours outside of Istanbul.

She said they expected him to be sent home on a flight after the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha. “We waited and expected him home on Monday, but the time came and he was not flown home. The consulate told us to wait patiently and not anger the Turks.”

She said the family could not afford to hire a lawyer to help her brother.

The Foreign Ministry said it was aware of the case and that the nine had been detained after complaints that they acted improperly with the attendant. The statement noted that three were still in custody, but did not say when they were expected to be released.

Most Popular
read more: