NEW YORK (AP) — Spike network is investigating reports of sexual harassment by the brother of disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein against the female showrunner of a series produced by The Weinstein Co. and aired on Spike.
Amanda Segel, a former executive producer of the sci-fi series “The Mist,” claims Bob Weinstein made repeated overtures to her that included invitations to dinner, to his home and to a hotel room, according to a story published Tuesday by Variety.
“We take all allegations of this nature very seriously, and are investigating,” Spike said in a statement.
She says the propositions began in June 2016 and were put to a stop a few months later only after Segel’s lawyer gave Weinstein Co. executives an ultimatum that Segel would leave the show if Weinstein persisted.
An arrangement reportedly was struck that restricted Weinstein’s contact with Segel. (“The Mist” was recently cancelled after its 10-episode first season.)
Segel’s attorney, David Fox, was not available for comment. Neither Weinstein’s attorney, Bert Fields, nor The Weinstein Co. responded to repeated requests for comment.
Segel’s accusations came to light just two weeks after an explosive story by The New York Times reported on older brother Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual harassment and assault of women spanning several decades. That story was followed by another expose in The New Yorker.
Since those stories surfaced, more than three dozen women have spoken up with additional accusations. Harvey Weinstein was fired from the company he co-founded with Bob, and on Tuesday resigned from its board. He lost his membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Producers Guild and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. The very future of The Weinstein Co. is currently in doubt.
The Weinstein Co.’s board said in a statement Tuesday that Weinstein had resigned. Weinstein holds a roughly 20 percent stake in his company, according to a person close to Weinstein who was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
Bob Weinstein had maintained last week that business was continuing “as usual” for the company and that its board was not exploring a sale or shutdown. He has publicly condemned his brother while professing he was unaware that Harvey had engaged in any non-consensual relations with women.
“I’m mortified and disgusted by my brother’s actions. And I am sick for the victims,” he said in an interview by The Hollywood reporter published Saturday.
Until now, no such accusations had been made against Bob Weinstein.