Residents’ offer to move West Bank hamlet said behind Israeli demolition delay
search

Residents’ offer to move West Bank hamlet said behind Israeli demolition delay

Attorney representing Khan al-Ahmar confirms offer to relocate 500 meters north to lands belonging to the village of Anata

The Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar in the West Bank on September 6, 2018. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP)
The Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar in the West Bank on September 6, 2018. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP)

Israel’s decision to delay the demolition of a Bedouin village in the West Bank, whose slated razing has brought international condemnation in recent months, was due to an offer from residents to voluntarily relocate to a nearby site, Army Radio reported Sunday.

Tawfiq Jabarin, the attorney representing Khan al-Ahmar, told The Times of Israel that the residents of the Bedouin hamlet had offered during legal proceedings to move 500 meters north away from the highway to lands belonging to the village of Anata.

However, the government did not respond to the proposal, Jabarin said, adding that nobody from the government had reached out to let the residents know that it would consider it.

A spokesperson for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said they was looking into the report.

An Israeli soldier stands next to excavators in the West Bank Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar on October 16, 2018. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP)

Israel on Saturday indefinitely pushed off the razing, giving no date for when a decision would be made on whether to move ahead with the demolition.

The Prime Minister’s Office said the delay was to allow more time for talks with residents of Khan al-Ahmar and to consider proposals regarding the village’s fate.

The announcement was met with a swift rebuke from Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman.

“The decision to delay the evacuation of Khan al-Ahmar was made in complete opposition to the stance of the defense minister and despite his firm objection,” his office said in a statement.

Reacting to the news, a Palestinian Authority official said protests at the village would continue until its planned demolition was scrapped altogether.

“Our demand is that Israeli authorities cancel the decision to demolish Khan al-Ahmar and allow its residents to remain here. We will be continuing our struggle and sit-in until our demand is achieved,” Walid Assaf, head of the PA’s Commission Against the Wall and Settlements, told The Times of Israel.

“We would consider any decision to not demolish the village as positive,” he added.

Palestinian wave flags during a demonstration at the West Bank Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar over Israel’s plans to demolish it, on October 19, 2018. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP)

The right-wing Israeli NGO Regavim, which had sued to force the state to demolish the hamlet, accused Netanyahu of caving to the PA and called on him to “come to his senses soon.”

The bulldozing of Khan al-Ahmar appeared imminent last week, as detectives called up activists to warn them against carrying out “illegal” activities during the razing of the Palestinian hamlet in the central West Bank.

Late last month, the Civil Administration — the Defense Ministry body that regulates construction in the parts of the West Bank fully controlled by Israel — warned residents that if they did not pack up their things and demolish all structures by October 1, Israeli authorities would do so for them.

In May, the High Court of Justice allowed the state to move forward with its plans to demolish Khan al-Ahmar, which was established illegally without building permits.

Attorneys representing the villagers filed several appeals, attempting to cancel or at least delay the razing. Last month, the High Court rejected a final appeal from Khan al-Ahmar residents, and authorities have since been preparing to flatten the hamlet and transfer the residents several miles east near the Palestinian town of Abu Dis, in a move that has drawn international condemnation of Israel.

That relocation site is hooked up to water, electricity and sewage and has a school to replace the current Italian-funded institution, which is made of falafel oil and mud-caked tires and has become a symbol for the village.

But residents of Khan al-Ahmar — 180 in number, according to the United Nations — have vehemently opposed moving there, saying that they were never consulted, the location is unsuitable for their rural way of life and is next to a garbage dump, and residents of Abu Dis have warned them to stay away.

They have similarly been uninterested in a second relocation site proposed to them by the state two months ago adjacent to the nearby settlement of Mitzpe Jericho as well as to a sewage treatment facility.

The villagers have argued that they submitted a building plan outline to the Civil Administration, but that it was never considered by the Defense Ministry body nor the High Court before it green-lighted Khan al-Ahmar’s razing.

A Palestinian child walks past the wall of the Khan al-Ahmar school on the first day of classes in the Bedouin village in the West Bank on July 16, 2018. (Abbas Momani/AFP)

Much of the international community has urged Israel to refrain from evicting the residents of the village, arguing that the forced transfer of populations in disputed territory violates international law.

The International Criminal Court’s chief prosecutor issued a statement on Wednesday in which she warned Israel that the planned demolition may constitute a war crime.

Fatou Bensouda said in the statement that she has been “following with concern the planned eviction” of residents of Khan al-Ahmar.

“Evacuation by force now appears imminent, and with it the prospects for further escalation and violence,” the prosecutor’s statement read. “It bears recalling, as a general matter, that extensive destruction of property without military necessity and population transfers in an occupied territory constitute war crimes under the Rome Statute.”

Israel argues that the village was built illegally and its homes are dangerously close to a highway, and emphasizes that the demolition has been approved by the country’s independent courts.

Israel also responded to Bensouda’s statement by criticizing her for failing to mention in her statement that, a day prior, a rocket had hit and severely damaged a house in Beersheba, in which a woman and her children were miraculously unharmed.

Adam Rasgon contributed to this report.

Join us!
A message from the Editor of Times of Israel
David Horovitz

The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.

We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.

Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.

Become a member of The Times of Israel Community
read more:
comments