Investigators in Bulgaria said Monday they would carry out a recreation of the Burgas airport bus bombing that took place last summer in order to figure out where the bomber and the bomb were located at the time of the detonation.
A police source said two buses would be blown up using explosive devices similar in composition and strength to the one used in the July 18 attack, in which five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver were killed.
The attackers targeted a shuttle bus taking the Israelis fresh off their flight from the airport to their hotels.
Chief prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov told Bulgarian media outlets that the evidence collected so far in the case was not conclusive enough to stand up in court.
On Saturday, Bulgaria’s interim prime minister, Marin Raikov, said he will not push the European Union to sanction Hezbollah, which the country has blamed for the terror attack.
“Bulgaria will not initiate a procedure [for listing Hezbollah as a 'terrorist organization'],” Raikov told the the state BNR radio station. “We will only present the objective facts and circumstances and let our European partners decide.”
Raikov was named interim prime minister earlier this month, after the fall of the current government over poverty and corruption allegations. New national elections are scheduled for May 12.
Bulgaria’s interior minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov announced in February that two men with links to the terrorist organization Hezbollah were implicated in the terrorist attack.
Hezbollah also financed the bomb attack on the bus, according to the Bulgarian investigation.
US and Israeli officials have said the EU should blacklist Hezbollah. Its inclusion would make it illegal for Hezbollah sympathizers in Europe to send money to the group, which the United States and Israel list as terrorist.
Israel has blamed both Hezbollah and Iran for the attack. Iran has denied responsibility and accused Israel of staging the attack.
|Like us on Facebook||Get our newsletter||Follow us on Twitter|