search

Couple in north dies of apparent CO poisoning from grill used to heat home

Reports say young children noticed parents didn’t get out of bed by the afternoon, alerted relatives; temperatures in Jadeidi-Makr area fell to 9°C overnight

Emanuel (Mannie) Fabian is The Times of Israel's military correspondent.

Medics are seen at the scene of a deadly carbon monoxide poisoning incident in the northern town of Jadeidi-Makr, January 22, 2022. (Magen David Adom)
Medics are seen at the scene of a deadly carbon monoxide poisoning incident in the northern town of Jadeidi-Makr, January 22, 2022. (Magen David Adom)

A couple died Saturday from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning after they left a charcoal grill burning in their apartment in the northern Arab town of Jadeidi-Makr.

The couple’s young children noticed they had not gotten out of bed by the afternoon and alerted relatives who called first responders, according to Hebrew-language media reports.

“When we entered the house we saw the man and the woman lying unconscious, without pulses and not breathing. We performed medical examinations, but they were without vital signs and we had no choice but to declare their deaths,” a Magen David Adom ambulance service medic said.

There were no signs of violence on the couple’s bodies.

The victims were later named as 40-year-old Abu Hassan al-Housri, and his wife, 35-year-old Ataaf al-Housri

Police said officers were at the scene investigating the incident. Officials suspect the two neglected to put out the grill used to warm up the room when they went to sleep Friday night.

Abu Hassan al-Housri and Ataaf al-Housri. (Courtesy)

Temperatures in northern Israel hit around 9°C (48.2°F) overnight, according to the Israeli Meteorological Service.

The gas has no color or smell, so leaks can be hard to identify until symptoms of poisoning become evident. Medical services say charcoal should only be used in a well-ventilated outdoor space, as even a single grill’s worth of burning charcoal can emit toxic levels of carbon monoxide.

read more:
comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed