A convicted child molester facing new charges of abusing a teenage boy asked a court to dismiss the case because he claimed he married his victim according to Jewish law.
Andrew Goodman, 28, was convicted in 2012 for several years of abuse of a boy who was just 12 years old when the crimes started. He was sentenced to two years in prison but in October 2012 additional charges surfaced because he once took his victim, at the time 15, across state lines to Atlantic City, the New York Daily News reported on Tuesday.
However, in papers filed last week, Goodman, who is representing himself, asked the Brooklyn Federal Court to dismiss the new case because the trip was made to celebrate his marriage to the boy. During the Valentine’s Day trip, Goodman allegedly sodomized his victim and took him out to dinner and to a Kid Rock concert.
“The union resulted in a honeymoon, feasting, celebratory concert attendance,” Goodman wrote. “A valid Jewish wedding and marriage occurred.”
Goodman apparently based his claim on Jewish law that allows marriage from the age of 13 without parental consent, the report said.
At the time of his 2012 court appearance Goodman told his teenage victim, now aged 18, that he had fallen in love with him. However, in his testimony the boy called Goodman “the devil disguised as a human” and said he was “the worst thing that ever happened to me.”
If convicted, Goodman could face life imprisonment.