Most Jews know that sufganiyot, the fried doughnuts traditionally enjoyed on Hanukkah, are bad for their diets, but a 70-year-old Israeli man found out Tuesday that the doughy treats can be life threatening.

The man was at his office in Tirat Hacarmel, enjoying a Hanukkah party at work, when he began choking on the doughnut, Channel 10 reported.

The man found himself unable to breath, and his colleagues called Magen David Adom, who promptly arrived and removed the piece of masticated doughnut from his throat.

The paramedics took the man to the Carmel Hospital in Haifa in moderate but stable condition.