The Hamas leadership claimed Sunday that Gaza suffered over $500 million worth of damage as a result of last month’s Operation Pillar of Defense. According to a Hamas statement, the IDF airstrikes caused major destruction to industrial plants, agricultural areas and infrastructure, leading to substantial financial losses for many of Gaza’s residents.
In 1,500 airstrikes, the Israeli Air Force targeted nearly 1,000 underground rocket launchers and 140 smuggling tunnels. Some 120 Gazans directly involved in terrorism were killed along with some 50 civilians were killed in the attacks, the IDF said last month On the Israeli side, four civilians and two soldiers were killed by rocket fire, and 240 were injured. Hamas fired some 1,500 rockets at Israel.
On Sunday, Gaza terrorists broke the ceasefire by firing a rocket at Israel, the IDF Spokesman said, but it fell short and landed in the Strip.
In Saturday television interviews, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the IDF was preparing to deal Hamas “a heavier blow” than it sustained in the November offensive.
“I’d suggest that Hamas not celebrate” any ostensible victory in the wake of that operation, Netanyahu told Channel 10. “We inflicted a very heavy blow” on Gaza’s Islamist government, he said. “We destroyed almost all of their long-range rockets. But I’m telling you that the IDF is preparing to strike a still-heavier blow. Our account with Hamas is not closed.”
He said that he would not lead Israelis to be under “any illusions” that the conflict with Hamas had been resolved by Operation Pillar of Defense.