The Israeli importer of General Mills products announced a recall on Thursday of several Haagen-Dazs ice cream products after traces of a toxic chemical were discovered.
The chemical 2-Chloroethanol was found in the vanilla flavoring of Haagen-Dazs ice cream produced in France. If consumed, the toxin can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Founded by Polish-Jewish refugees in New York, the popular ice cream brand already suffered a recall in July, when traces of a carcinogenic substance were found in their products.
The Health Ministry on Thursday instructed the public to refrain from consuming the following products:
Belgian Chocolate 473ml (use by 30/05/2023; barcode 74570610051; made in France); Macadamia Nut Brittle 473ml (use by 04/06/2023; barcode 74570174003; made in France); Vanilla Caramel Brownie 473ml (use by 01/06/2023; barcode 3415581187113; made in France); and Vanilla Caramel Almond 80ml (use by 01/06/2023; barcode 3415587403057; made in France)
The announcement came the day after another recall in Israel, after a mouse head was discovered in a bag of frozen green beans.
The green beans were produced by Sunfrost, which has since issued an official recall on two of its bags of frozen green beans.
In a statement shared by the Health Ministry, Sunfrost told its customers “all our products undergo strict quality tests. This case is an uncommon occurrence and does not reflect the character of the company’s products.”
Earlier this year, Israeli producer Strauss faced an enormous global recall after salmonella was detected in a range of its chocolate products.