An Egyptian court on Tuesday sentenced to death 10 Islamist militants found guilty of terror-related charges, a judicial source says.
The men, charged with “leading a group known as the Helwan Brigades,” were found guilty of having committed acts of terror, including opening fire at a police vehicle, the judicial source told AFP.
Their verdicts are subject to appeal.
They were convicted in relation to events that took place between August 2013 and February 2015 — a period that saw a spike in attacks, particularly targeting security forces, following the military ouster of Islamist former president Mohamed Morsi.
The court also handed down jail sentences to 205 others in the same case, ranging from 10 years to life imprisonment.
Since taking power in 2014 a year after leading Morsi’s ouster, President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi has led a mass crackdown on Islamists and dissidents, jailing thousands.
Egyptian courts have routinely handed down death sentences or long jail terms after mass trials that have drawn condemnation from the United Nations and rights organizations.
Egypt carried out the third highest number of known executions in the world last year, after China and Iran, according to Amnesty International.