The United Arab Emirates and Jordan join the countries sounding the alarm over Israel’s planned military operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, where over one million Palestinians are sheltering amid the ongoing military campaign that has been progressing in the direction of the Egypt border.
The UAE “has expressed deep concern” regarding the operation “and the serious humanitarian repercussions that may result,” says a statement from Abu Dhabi’s foreign ministry, adding that it risks the lives of more innocent civilians while exacerbating the humanitarian crisis.
The statement goes on to reiterate the UAE’s opposition to the forced displaced of Palestinians, and urges a ceasefire and the renewal of efforts toward a two-state solution, without making mention of the remaining 136 hostages being held by terror groups in Gaza.
Jordan issues a largely identical statement. Similar calls have been heard from Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
The US earlier this week said Israel has not conducted the planning necessary to ensure that civilians won’t be harmed in Rafah, leading Netanyahu to announce Friday that Israel would allow Palestinians to evacuate before the IDF begins the operation.