After Hebron terror attack, Abbas speaks only of Palestinian ‘despair’
search

After Hebron terror attack, Abbas speaks only of Palestinian ‘despair’

At Ramallah press conference with Cypriot president, PA leader makes no mention of shooting that killed Israeli father and son

Israeli soldiers and police inspect a car following a deadly attack near the settlement of Otniel, south of the West Bank city of Hebron, on November 13, 2015. (AFP/Hazem Bader)
Israeli soldiers and police inspect a car following a deadly attack near the settlement of Otniel, south of the West Bank city of Hebron, on November 13, 2015. (AFP/Hazem Bader)

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas made no mention at a press conference Friday evening of a terror attack that killed an Israeli father and son hours earlier in the West Bank, focusing instead on Palestinian “despair.”

The two Israeli victims — a 40-year-old man and his 18-year-old son — were shot dead by Palestinian gunmen as they drove with the rest of their family to spend Shabbat with relatives. The five other family members were lightly hurt in the attack. The second son, aged 16, told a Magen David Adom hotline that a Red Crescent ambulance slowed down and then drove on by as the family lay dead and injured after the attack.

The PA leader is continuing with a policy of non-condemnation he has implemented since the start of the current cycle of violence, the Ynet news website reported.

Abbas, who had been hosting Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades, spoke at a joint press conference in Ramallah of attacks carried out by settlers on Palestinians.

Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades and PA President Mahmoud Abbas shake hands during a joint press conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah on November 13, 2015. AFP PHOTO/POOL/ALAA BADARNEH)
Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades and PA President Mahmoud Abbas shake hands during a joint press conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah on November 13, 2015. AFP PHOTO/POOL/ALAA BADARNEH)

Referring to the economic situation, Abbas said that the Palestinian people were living in difficult circumstances “as a result of the ongoing Israeli occupation and aggressive escalation of settlers against Palestinian property and holy sites, which lead the Palestinian nation to a state of despair and stress.”

Abbas also welcomed the recent EU move to label goods produced in the Israeli settlements.

Israeli security forces were carrying out an extensive search of the area to locate the perpetrators of the attack, entering nearby villages and closing off the entrances to them.

Last month, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lambasted Abbas for failing to condemn a terror attack hours earlier in which an Israeli couple were shot dead in front of their four children, aged 4 months to 9 years.

“I didn’t hear any condemnation from the Palestinian Authority” on the murders of Naama and Eitam Henkin, Netanyahu said.

Raphael Ahren contributed to this report.

read more:
less
comments
more