The High Court of Justice on Tuesday granted the state an extension in demolishing an illegal outpost in the West Bank, staving off the evacuation until the end of April.
The Amona outpost, in the central West Bank, was slated to be demolished in February, after several previous delays. The state had sought a six-month extension, saying the January elections would change the political landscape and the circumstances of the evacuation.
The court gave the state until April 30 to evacuate the dozens of settler families and demolish their homes.
The judges also refused to reconsider the Palestinian landowner’s claim on the contested territory, in effect declining the state’s appeal to review the case.
The state had said in its November appeal that it needed to review a claim by settlers that they purchased some of the land, on which the outpost stands, from its Palestinian owners.
Two years ago, the court issued an interim decree ordering the state to account for its failure to enforce demolition orders for homes built on private Palestinian land.
The state had previously told the court that it would remove the settlers and dismantle the outpost before the end of the year.
The current outpost was set up on the site of a previous outpost of the same name, evacuated in 2006. The hilltop saw some of the heaviest resistance by residents and others against army forces sent to remove them. Some 200 people were injured in violent clashes with security forces, turning the site into a symbol of resistance among radical settlers.
Stuart Winer contributed to this report.
|Like us on Facebook||Get our newsletter||Follow us on Twitter|