90-year-old Israeli man chokes to death on Hanukkah doughnut
search

90-year-old Israeli man chokes to death on Hanukkah doughnut

Paramedics say nonagenarian was attending holiday candlelighting when a piece of dough became lodged in his throat

Doughnuts (sufganiyot) on sale at Marzipan bakery in Jerusalem, for the upcoming Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. December 16, 2014. (Hadas Parush/FLASH90)
Doughnuts (sufganiyot) on sale at Marzipan bakery in Jerusalem, for the upcoming Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. December 16, 2014. (Hadas Parush/FLASH90)

A 90-year-old man in central Israel choked to death on a doughnut during a Hanukkah candlelighting ceremony Monday evening.

Magen David Adom paramedics called to the community in the Shfela region southeast of Tel Aviv, said they dislodged a piece of dough stuck in the man’s throat, but were unable to revive him.

The man, who was attending a candlelighting ceremony at his local synagogue, was declared dead at the scene.

In a statement, the MDA warned that the jelly-filled doughnut, a Hannukah tradition, could be a choking hazard for children and the elderly.

On Sunday, MDA said paramedics were called to a Bnei Brak home to treat a 95-year-old man who choked on a doughnut. The unconscious man was taken to the Tel Hashomer Hospital in Tel Aviv, and was said to be in stable condition on Monday.

Doughnuts are traditionally consumed during the Jewish festival of Hanukkah, which began on Sunday evening, and will last until December 10.

read more:
less
comments
more