Deputy minister lashes EU over response to West Bank terror attack
search

Deputy minister lashes EU over response to West Bank terror attack

‘Could it be that the EU agrees with the Palestinian terrorist’s motivations just not his methods?’ suggests Michael Oren after Palestinian fatally shoots two Israelis

Deputy Minister Michael Oren at the Knesset, June 27, 2017. (Yonatan Sindel)
Deputy Minister Michael Oren at the Knesset, June 27, 2017. (Yonatan Sindel)

Michael Oren, deputy minister of diplomacy, on Sunday slammed the European Union over its response to a deadly terror attack in the West Bank, suggesting European nations back the “motivations” of the Palestinian killer.

“EU again condemns terrorist murders of innocent Israelis by saying ‘violence can never be condoned,'” tweeted Oren, a former ambassador to the US and a current Kulanu coalition lawmaker.

“The EU never says that when terrorists kill Europeans,” he added. “Could it be that the EU agrees with the Palestinian terrorist’s motivations just not his methods?”

Kim Levengrond Yehezkel, 28, a married mother of a baby, and Ziv Hajbi, a 35-year-old father of three, were shot dead by a Palestinian gunman at the Barkan Industrial Park near the settlement-city of Ariel earlier in the day.

Oren was reacting to a tweet from Emanuele Giaufret, the EU’s ambassador to Israel.

EU Ambassador to Israel Emanuele Giaufret in his Ramat Gan office in December 2017. (Ariel Zandberg)

“Following the developing news on the attack in Barkan industrial area in the West Bank this morning,” the EU ambassador wrote. “My condolences to the families of the victims. May the perpetrator be brought to justice. Violence can never be condoned.”

The suspect, a 23-year-old Palestinian man from the northern West Bank, entered a factory where he was employed in the Barkan Industrial Park shortly before 8 a.m, armed with a locally produced Carlo-style submachine gun, according to army spokesperson Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus.

Inside, he tied up and shot dead Yehezkel at close range, as well as killing Hajbi and wounding a third victim, according to eyewitnesses.

After the attack the suspect fled the scene, still armed with the submachine gun, the military said.

The IDF would not release the suspect’s name, but said he was from the northern West Bank village of Shuweika, near Tulkarem. According to the IDF, the suspect had no history of terrorist activities and was not tied to any terror groups, though several of them applauded his actions.

Kim Levengrond Yehezkel, 28 (left), and Ziv Hajbi, 35, who were killed in a terror shooting in the Barkan industrial zone in the West Bank, October 7, 2018 (screenshots: Facebook)

Earlier in the day, he had posted on his Facebook page that he was “waiting for [Allah].” A television report said he had left a suicide note with a friend several days ago.

The businesses in the Barkan Industrial Park, located near Ariel, employ some 8,000 people, approximately half of them Israelis and the other half Palestinians.

read more:
comments