BERLIN — World-renowned conductor and pianist Daniel Barenboim, who in October stepped back from performing due to illness, will take up the baton again for two New Year’s concerts, his venue said on Friday.
Berlin’s State Opera, where Barenboim has been general musical director since 1992, said he would “conduct Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony on December 31 and January 1.”
It was not immediately clear whether Barenboim would be scheduling further appearances in 2023.
In October, Barenboim said he would be dropping “some of his performing activities, especially conducting engagements,” in the coming months after he was diagnosed with a “serious neurological condition.”
Barenboim, 80, had already cancelled a series of concerts for health reasons this year.
“My health has deteriorated over the last months, and I have been diagnosed with a serious neurological condition. I must now focus on my physical well-being as much as possible,” he tweeted at the time, adding that he had made the announcement with “a combination of pride and sadness.”
The Berlin-based Barenboim was born in Argentina to Jewish parents. He has been acclaimed for a stellar career which saw him begin performing internationally as a pianist aged 10. He moved to Israel as a teen and later become a leading conductor.
He earned further renown when he co-created a foundation and orchestra to promote co-operation among young musicians from Israel and Arab nations.
He also founded the Barenboim-Said Akademie in Berlin, which trains gifted musicians mainly from the Middle East and North Africa for a professional career.
Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.